Chapter 8

To build a home- Patrick Watson

Artemis's home aesthetic

3rd Person Pov

Present-day - Dublin, Ireland

Artemis looked at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, the memory fading. She bent down splashing cold over her face; trying to calm herself down.

Knock Knock

Her head shot up when she heard the sound. Vines immediately appeared at her side. They danced around her arms and fingertips.

"Hello?" a familiar voice spoke.

Artemis wrapped a vine around the door handle slowly pulling it open. There they stood. Part of her family. Sersi stood with a smile overtaking her face, Sprite had her arms crossed unamused and finally Ikaris. Oh, Icky how she had not missed him. Her vines retreated slightly but a few remained at her side. "It's about time you got here," she remarked before letting them into her flat.

The three Eternals walked into her home observing the decorations and trinkets splattered across the walls. Artemis's walls were painted a sage green with white borders. Artifacts from across time were displayed along her shelves.  Photos of her, Makkari, Phastos were arranged along with photos of Gil and Thena. A small photo frame with a photo of her and another sat on her bedside table, collecting dust. A single vine with two initials engraved on the side is laid next to it. Vines hung from the ceiling, windowsills and doorframes covering most of the rooms. A record player sat in the corner of her living room playing It's been a long long time by Harry James. Artemis fell back onto her baby pink sofa closing her eyes, exhausted.

"The deviants are back" Ikaris announced to her. She opened her eyes giving Ikaris a straight face.

"No shit sherlock," she said sarcasm laced into her words. "Why do you think I look like this? Your average day in Ireland?."

"There's something else we need to tell you, Art," Sersi told her gently.

"Why is it you guys only visit is when there's a problem. We never should have split up. I mean I needed you all these past 500 years and...."

"I'm sorry Artemis" Ikaris interrupted.

She looked over at him "excuse me?".

Ikaris hesitated before he calmly responded "Ajak's dead".

Artemis immediately let out a gasp "You're lying" she said quietly. Even though Ikaris has never particularly liked the girl his heart broke at her reaction. "She can't die" Her voice began to break "We're Eternals we can't" she expressed while trying to hold in sobs. Sersi pulled her into a hug letting her cry onto her shoulder.

South Dakota 1671 AD

Artemis walked up the muddy driveway leading up to Ajak's ranch. She jumped over puddles and potholes holding her coat close to her chest as the wind blew viscously. Artemis hadn't seen Ajak for almost 150 years but she couldn't wait to hear stories all about her travels. After the Eternals broke up Ajak decided to travel and live among them, Artemis longed to hear the stories of how humanity is worth saving unlike what Druig says.

She took a deep breath before knocking on the door. Nothing. Maybe she wasn't home, she thought.  Artemis was about to turn away when the door opened slightly. "Hello, Ajak".

Ajak was very fond of her fellow Eternal, she always admired her courage and determination to protect the humans from their wars. Of course, Ajak knew that Artemis would help with deviant attacks as no one on the team used a bow and arrow crafted from gold. Ajak smiled fondly at the girl "Artemis my darling" she breathed out pulling her into a hug.

Artemis immediately returned the hug, feeling a weight lift off her shoulder. Ajak pulled away inspecting her face. She frowned slightly observing her tired frame. "Oh Artemis, what's the matter, dear". She asked sincerely allowing Art into the ranch house.

Artemis peeled off her sage green coat and scarf hanging them on the rack. She observed the house she's grown accustomed to, not much had changed.  Artifacts from each place they had lived in littered the walls. She let her hand drift along the walls feeling love and comfort infect her veins. Art took a deep breath facing Ajak"I miss him so much" she whispered. 

Ajak immediately pulled her into another hug, letting her pour out her emotions. Ajak placed her face into her hands staring at her puffy eyes. "Listen, my dear, I can feel the anger you have for him however I can also feel the love as well" she explained placing her hand over Artemis's heart. "Dear you're dying without him and I fear he may be the same".

"What" Art questioned. 

Ajak smiled at the girl's confusion" Not literally dying, just your souls are".

Art closed her eyes, tears continued to silently run down her cheeks." So what do I do?".

"Go to him"

Art smiled at Ajaks approval but a larger smile presented itself. "Do you mind if we do something first?" she asked her leader.

"Anything dear".

"Wanna go horseriding?".

The present - Dublin, Ireland

That was the first time Artemis saw Ajak. Even though the Eternals were broken up she never stopped caring about them. She always put them first making sure they were happy and safe on Earth. Artemis didn't know how they would defeat the deviants without her.