Chapter 3

Moment - Vierre Cloud

3rd Person Pov

Babylon 575 BC
Artemis was a thinker. She watched them. It helped them progress. She never went against her orders until now. All Artemis was instructed to do was remain inside the Domo away from the danger. Instead, she was standing on the Ishtar Gate using her bow and arrow against the deviants. Phastos secretly upgraded her bow since her old one was flimsy and weak. She can now remove the deviants from her high position and feel as if she has a purpose. she thought, I'm going to be so late. Art raced down the building, jumping over bumps and uneven areas in the ground. I can make it with just this last one, but she was so caught up in her thoughts that she mistimed the jump. It all happened so fast, she didn't have enough time to scream. Art smacked onto the floor with a harsh thud, twisting her ankle severely. Brilliant! Druig's going to kill me. She tilted her head back in defeat.

Artemis stumbled into Phasto's lab, successfully not bumping into Druig or Ajak. Phastos was standing in the centre of the room with his arms held up, inventing a new piece of technology.

"Where have you been, Artie? You're late again, "Phastos mumbled.

Artemis looked around the lab. "I don't see Sersi or Ajak or Mr. Mind Control, so I'm technically not late," she stated proudly. Sadly, her victory was disrupted as a voice emerged from the windowsill.

"Actually, Angel, Mr. Mind Control is here," he smirked.

Artemis playfully glared at him. For fucksake. "Ok, well, Sersi still isn't here."

Artemis strolled up to Phastos, trying to touch the golden design that filled the centre of the room. Phastos stared down at the girl. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"I wanted to know what they felt like," she mumbled.

"And?"

"I can't reach them," she pouted.

Phastos laughed dryly and went back to his invention, pulling new pieces in and taking unused ones out. As Art walked around the room trying to find something to occupy her, Perfect. Due to her injured ankle, she quickly limped to the food table, only to have a body block her way. Oh come on, I'm so hungry. Art placed her hands firmly on her hips. "Can I help you?"

"Not at all, darling, I just wanted to grab an apple." He replied

Artemis quickly wrapped her vines around the apple, throwing it at the wall. Druig stared at her in shock. "What the hell was that for?" he loudly questioned.

Artemis stared back in disbelief. "You know how I feel about apples? They creep me out," she retaliated.

"How could I forget your complete irrational fear of apples," he said, trying to hold back his laughter.

A small smile escaped Art's lips. It's not my fault; I just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate them ,"Like a lot," she quietly mumbled.

Artemis used a vine to grab him a fresh pear. "There," she said, as the pear dropped into his hands. "I'm sorry for destroying your disgusting apple." She apologised.

Druig couldn't stop the smile from infecting his face. "Apology accepted, Angel, come on, we can share since you're so hungry." Druig said while grabbing her hand and dragging her back over to the windowsill. He sat against the wall with his legs spread out and Art lying in between them, sleep slowly overtaking her.

Art and Druig stayed for that until Ajak sauntered into the lab to begin the weekly thinkers' meeting. In these meetings, they discussed human progression, new inventions, and the jobs assigned to each thinker. Last week, Art was on cleanup. This meant she had to clean up the mess the fighters left behind. There was so much debris. Why were they so messy? Just fight away from all the bloody infrastructure. Artemis continued to sleep with her head resting on Druig's abdomen. Druig stared down at the thinker while mindlessly playing with her hair. How had she captivated me so easily? He questioned himself. Ajak's voice broke him out of his trance.