Chapter 9

Favourite crime - Olivia Rodrigio
1671 AD

Artemis walked through the small village, the place bringing her a calming sense of deja vu. The trees swayed slightly in the wind, children ran about playing with their friends. Artemis smiled to herself as she felt home. Art began walking to the outskirts of the town searching for one of her oldest friends. She saw the house in the distance preparing herself. What would I even say? Hi? No that's so stupid. Hey, I haven't seen you in over 150 years, what's up. She pushed those thoughts deep down as she knocked on the door. She rocked on the balls of her heels waiting for the familiar face to appear. Swiftly the door opened.

"Hi D "

Druig stood frozen looking at his lost Angel. He didn't know what to say. Why was she here?

"Are you just gonna stand there or are you gonna let me in? She questioned.

He was speechless. He silently moved to the side allowing her inside of his hut. Her brown hair was pulled back into her regular plait with a white ribbon tying it. She wore a cream dress with a green corset pulled around her waist flowing down to the end of the dress. Artemis hated the current dress attire of the UK so she had to get away. Women were treated with disrespect and forced to obey a man's every command. Artemis despised it.

Artemis slowly looked around Druig's house; it was so plain. The walls were blank. No pictures, decorations or trinkets. The only thing hanging on the wall was a single vine. The vine was an average ivy colour with two letters engraved onto it. D+A.

She let out a small gasp and whipped round to Druig staring at the floor. "You kept it?" She asked.

He just nodded, unable to look at his lost lover. Guilt flooded through his veins as soon as saw her face. He heard her thoughts as she neared the house but refused to believe that she was there. He knew leaving in 1521 was heartbreaking for her but he couldn't let all those people suffer when they had welcomed him into their community. Druig had been alone for those 150 years, thinking about the love he left behind. Would she have gone with me if I asked? That vine was the only thing he had left of her.

"You can look at me you know".

Druig still didn't look at her, trying to shield his emotions from her.

Artemis sighed loudly before walking up to him; she placed her hands on his cheeks lifting his face. Artemis stared into eyes for the first time in 150 years. His normal vibrant eyes were a dull blue almost grey. His eye bags drooped down his face ; pale and weak.

"Oh, Druig," she whispered. He closed his eyes, leaning into her touch.

"I'm sorry" he whispered back.

"Why did you leave?" She asked the question that she was dying to know the answer for.

Druig studied her hazel eyes for a hint of deception but couldn't find any "I don't know" he responded.

Artemis scoffed "That's bullshit and you know it" she tore her hands away from him stepping back. "Why did you leave?" she demanded.

"I just told you I don't know what else you want from me?"

"The bloody truth. That's all I've wanted for 150 years!" she screamed.

Silence.

"Fine. It was stupid for me to come here anyway". She said as she began walking outside. The rain had begun to pour down, covering Artemis. Her dress stuck to her, her hair began dripping. She crossed her arms over her chest to try to conserve any heat she could manage.

Druig followed her outside also drowning in the rain" Angel wait" he shouted over the sound of the rain.

She slowly turned to face him. The rain made his bangs stick to his forehead, his light blue shirt becoming almost see-through sticking to his chest.

"I was scared," he shouted. "Ok I was scared" he lowered his voice.

Artemis's anger vanished instantly. She stepped closer to him "You were scared, cocky arrogant Druig was scared? Of what, little bitty Icky? She said teasingly. "You know I tried so hard to get Ajak to put us on missions together or I would look for you just so I could get a small amount of time with you. The things I did "she scoffed in disbelief. "It really wasn't worth it if this is what I get in return".

Druig scoffed loudly " No Artemis, I wasn't scared of Ikaris," he said moving closer "I was scared to love you" closer "You are the only person who has ever made me feel like this.'' closer "so I left and I'm so bloody pissed that I did" he was now so close to her any closer then their noses would be touching. "I love you and that's fucking scary but..."

Artemis didn't need to hear anymore before crashing her lips onto his. Gently he moved his hand to her face, the other slowly snaking around her waist; butterflies erupting in her stomach. The rain battered down onto the two lost lovers drowning out any rational thoughts. Artemis pulled away breathless "I love you too" she whispered resting her forehead on his.