Chapter 2

Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

3rd Person Pov
Artemis strolled down the bitter streets of Dublin holding a latte in her left hand, sipping it occasionally. She was dressed in ivy green jeans with a cute pink top with a green ribbon to match. She had been living in Ireland for around 30 years after moving away from South America. Living here was extremely different from a life with little technology and education. Art had preferred a life with simplicity after being a soldier for over 6000 years.

After disposing of her empty coffee cup, she pulled her cardigan tighter around herself when the wind started to pick up. She thought we would go through all the seasons in a day here. Turning down a quieter street, she unlocked the front door of a small bookshop called "The Bookshop on the Corner." It was named after one of her favourite novels by Jenny Colgan. She wiped her feet on the mat and proceeded to open her small bookshop. Artemis was always fascinated by literature. She used to spend her days teaching humans to read and write tales of their own. During celebrations, she would gather everyone and read the tales of the fights of the Five Fighters. Art smiled at the fond memory, but sadness quickly washed over her as she remembered that she was all of a distant memory; she hadn't seen most of the Eternals for centuries. Sersi often came to see her as London wasn't too far away, Sprite often trailed behind since they lived together. She had seen Gil and Thee a few times, Ajak once, and Phastos every 6 months. Makkari always managed to find her. They used to spend days or even weeks together, but that all stopped just before The Blip. Finally, he who should not be named Art doesn't dare think about him in case he's poking around in her mind.

Today was rather quiet. Art was currently restocking the crime section, which was situated on a high shelf. This required her to use a ladder. Normally, if she needed to reach high places, she'd use vines to lift her, but sadly in the presence of humans, she couldn't. Artemis was about to place her final book when she sensed a strange vibration. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up, alerting her of the upcoming danger. The ground started to violently shake, throwing her off the ladder. Art hit the floor with a thud, hitting her head with a large thud. Before she could fathom what was happening, she glanced to her right; a bookshelf was falling fast onto the humans. Vines shot out of hands, creating a barrier for the shelf to land on. The earthquake lasted around 30 seconds. Blood dripped down her forehead, but she didn't pay any mind to it as she made sure everyone was OK. Art released a breath she didn't know she was holding as she closed the shop for the day to fix damages.

"This is going to take a while," she announced to herself. She looked down at her hands. Vines danced around her fingertips, urging her to use them. No. I can't .

Artemis had successfully cleaned up most of the debris without her powers, which took longer than she anticipated. Art never uses her powers anymore, 1521 AD was the last time she dared to. They only made things worse. The shop was looking back to its homey feel when Art felt the same vibrations before the earthquake hit. Her hair stood up again, alert.She raced out of the building to find the source of the inevitable danger. What she was about to see was nothing you could ever prepare for. How do you prepare yourself to see something that almost killed your family?

A deviant

Her heart dropped. This can't be happening. We defeated them all 500 years ago. Immediately, the meant-to-be extinct creature charged at Art, ignoring the humans around them. At that moment, Artemis broke her vow for the second time today. She used her powers. Art pressed her hands together, then pulled them apart, instantly conjuring a burning ball of green energy. The deviant continued to charge at her, and without a second thought, she threw the energy with so much force that its scaly head was knocked back but not killed. What the hell? That should have worked. The deviant slowly turned round to face her anger, writing it all over its kind-of face, healing its jaw in the process. Ok, what the hell is happening? she thought. This deviant is being a bitch. Come on Art, you can kill it. I mean, you've never killed one before, but if Thena can do it, so can you. The deviant made another attempt to hurt the Eternal, but she was quicker at throwing ivy around its limbs, tying it down. She generated a final ball of energy, "Nightie Night Dick," she thought before hurling directly into its head. The force produced by the explosion threw Art to the floor; tired and completely out of breath. What .. the .. fuck .. just .. happened.

She mustered as much strength as she could to stand up and view the aftermath of her fight. Blood. There was so much ancient blood coating the street. Poor bystanders were covered head to toe in it. Most of the people watching were filming. Great. I think it's time to get the band back together. Like the spice girls.