Chapter 79 - Rubbing the Belly

Start from the beginning

“We’ve troubled the little Daozhang. May the little Daozhang please help us convey our thanks to your shifu.” Wu Xingzi accepted the basket with reverence and awe. Ping Yifan immediately helped him up the carriage, but he himself did not get in, turning to exchange a few words with the disciple. In the carriage, Wu Xingzi was unable to make out their conversation, and instead, he speculated curiously over what sort of a good thing was inside the food basket.

When Ping Yifan got into the carriage, Wu Xingzi had already sniffed out that the basket contained vegetarian dumplings. Midway through the journey, Ping Yifan asked Wu Xingzi to go ahead and open the basket, and to eat the items within. However, Wu Xingzi thought that he ought to bring back such good things for Mint, Osmanthus and Hei’er to try, so he held himself back from eating the dumplings.

Chongxu Guan’s vegetarian dumplings were famous throughout the land, and one could not easily get their hands on them as and when they like. It was unclear what method Ping Yifan used, to be able to convince Chongxu Guan into letting them take some away.

When Wu Xingzi asked, Ping Yifan’s lips quirked up. “It’s not me, but Lord Yan, Yan Wenxin, who has such a great ability in doing so.”

He sighed. “I don’t know what Lord Yan is planning. I’m only just a commoner, and Mr. Wu is not one from the capital. This show of courtesy certainly makes one tremble a little in fright.”

Hearing Yan Wenxin’s name, Wu Xingzi lowered his head, mumbling a few sounds of agreement. Naturally, he did not notice the gloom flashing through Ping Yifan’s eyes.

Back in the capital, the evening lanterns were already lit. Ping Yifan sent Wu Xingzi back to Rancui’s residence. He first got off the carriage, then helped Wu Xingzi out. Walking him all the way to the door, he seemed a little reluctant to part.

“Mr. Wu, I don’t know if you’d be willing to go listen to the playing of a qin with me seven days later?” Ping Yifan finally decided to ask this question when Wu Xingzi took a step into the door.

“A qin?” Wu Xingzi’s eyes brightened, nodding enthusiastically. “Of course I’m willing. May I know which musician Ping-gongzi is planning on taking me to see?”

“Qingzhu Lane’s Bai-gongzi.”

Hearing the answer, Wu Xingzi could not help exclaiming, and his entire being seemed rejuvenated. “Bai-gongzi’s qin! Aiyah, aiyah, I’ll definitely attend, I’ll definitely attend!”

During the gathering of the Peng Society at Lianxiang Residences, Young Master Bai’s The Tree of Jianmu had truly left Wu Xingzi intoxicated. He had thought that he would never be fortunate enough to get another chance again, but the heavens had actually given him such a good opportunity.

“However, I heard that Bai-gongzi doesn’t play his qin for everyone.” Comparable to Young Master Bai’s skills was his temper. It was not that Bai Shaochang had a bad temper, but he was haughty and conceited. As a qin player, he had been immersed in the art of qin since he was young. He did act a little lofty, but he was not completely blind to worldly desires. Even though he was hailed as Great Xia’s chief qin player, he would still play his qin in all sorts of places. He did not care about the status or position the people listening held, but he only played his qin for people who appreciated the music.

It was rumoured that the son of the current Defender Duke wanted to invite Bai Shaochang to come to his residence and play a song for him. The Defender Duke and the Protector General could be claimed as Great Xia’s two sharp blades, or the two war gods of the country. Although the Defender Duke was slightly suppressed by the Protector General’s position, his one step in the capital was still enough to leave strong aftershocks in his wake.