Part 2 - Chapter 5

1 month later

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. With my eyes still closed, I reached a hand to pat the other side of the bed, but instead of touching Mikey's warm body like I had expected, my fingers found their way to nothing but cold bedsheets. I really wished I could have enjoyed spending more nights snuggled up to my fiancée, but Mikey often left during the night. As the leader of Bonten, his work mostly took place when the rest of the civilization was fast asleep.

I rolled on my side, grabbed my phone from my night shelf and checked the time. It was 3 am.

"Hello?" I picked up, my voice still raspy with sleep.

"Hey, it's Ran."

"Everything okay?"

"No, it's Aki."

At the mention of his son, I sat up in bed, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"He won't stop crying and I- I don't know what to do. I've tried everything, Y/N. Everything. Usually, Rindou's here to help me, but he left for a mission with Sanzu. He's really good with babies but I'm not and - shit, I don't know what to do to calm him down-"

He sounded so panicked I felt bad.

Ellie had given birth two weeks ago in jail. As expected, Ran had gotten full custody of Aki, his son, but now he was parenting alone, which he wasn't really prepared for.

"Okay, I'll be here in 15 minutes."

I hung up and rolled out of bed. I quickly put on some clothes, grabbed my purse and then called a taxi as I walked out of Mikey's apartment complex.

When I stepped off the elevator of Ran's apartment building 15 minutes later, Aki's screams and cries reached my ears. I strode down the hallway and knocked on Ran's apartment door. He opened a few seconds later.

"Thank you for coming," He said as he stepped to the side to let me in.

"No problem."

He led the way to his bedroom where Aki was lying on his back in his crib, next to Ran's king-sized bed.

"I've fed him and changed his diaper but he still won't stop crying," Ran explained, running a hand through his tousled hair.

I glanced at Aki's crib before bringing my gaze back to Ran.

"Why don't you go take a shower?"

He paused, blinking.

"Are you trying to tell me that I stink?"

"Well..." I hesitated. "In case you haven't noticed," I pointed a finger at a brown stain on his sleeve, "there's poo on your T-shirt and-" I squinted my eyes, pointing at another greenish-colored stain on his T-shirt. "Is that vomit?"

His eyes slightly rounded as he glanced down at himself.

"Alright, alright," He mumbled, embarassed. "I'll go take a quick shower."

He padded out of his bedroom. I waited to hear the water running in his bathroom down the hallway to approach his son's crib.

My mother had told me that, when I was still a baby, she would constantly talk to me as if I could understand what she was saying. She said talking to me was the best way to soothe me, so I decided to try this technique on Aki.

"Hey, little guy. What's wrong?" I asked the fussy baby as I lifted him gently out of his crib.

I walked over to Ran's bed and sat down on the edge of the bed, holding Aki in my arms. He was still crying, but his lavender eyes were now locked on mine. They were wide and alert as I spoke quietly, "Sorry if I'm bad at this. I've never done this before."