Chapter 14

Today was my mom's birthday. She died 8 years ago.

On that day, I usually visited her grave and looked at every picture I had left of her. But now that I was living here with Rindou, I couldn't do any of that.

Pulling the cover over my head, I curled up in a ball and let the tears slip down my cheeks. I'm not sure how long I stayed like this before there was a knock on my bedroom door.

I didn't answer, hoping Rindou would take the hint and leave me alone for today. But the door opened a few seconds later and I heard footsteps getting closer to my bed.

'Y/N?' There was a hint of worry in his voice.

I took a deep breath and tried not to choke up as I answered him. 'I'm not feeling well so I'll just stay in bed today.'

Rindou sat down on my bed and pulled the cover down to take a look at me but I quickly buried my face in my hands.

'Y/N.' He gently grabbed my hands in his and pulled them away from my face. His eyes slightly widened when he saw that I was crying.

'I'm fine.' I lied, quickly wiping my tears away.

Without another word, Rindou laid down next to me and pulled me against his chest.

Surprisingly, the silent comfort he was providing was better than if he had asked me to talk to him. My tears stopped a few minutes later.

'Thank you.' I whispered.

'You don't need to thank me.' Rindou let go of me and got back up. 'Get dressed. We're going out.'

--------------------------------------------------------

'Do you feel better?'

'Yes, thank you.'

Rindou had brought me to a restaurant. Despite being fancy, the place also felt cozy and welcoming which I was thankful for.

'So why were you crying?'

I looked down at my plate. My mom's death was something I didn't feel ready to talk about with Rindou yet.

'Is it because you hate living with me?' Rindou asked when I stayed silent.

'No, it's not that.' I immediately answered.

'Then, what?'

'I just... I miss going to school.'

Although I never thought I would have ever said that, this wasn't exactly a lie.

'What were you studying?'

'Nursing.'

'Did you like it?'

My lips curved into a smile as I thought of my dream job. 'I loved it.'

Rindou stared at me a few seconds, visibly thinking about something. 'I could hire a private teacher for you.' He finally said. 

'Really?'

Rindou let out a chuckle as he noticed the way my eyes lit up. 'Yeah, someone could come teach you at the penthouse so you can graduate.'

'That would be great...' My voice trailed off as my eyes slid to something behind Rindou. A familiar man who stood next to the bar counter of the restaurant was waving at me.

Dad?!

Rindou's gaze came up to me when I dropped my fork on the table. 'You okay ?'

'Y-yes, sorry. I just have to use the bathroom real quick.' I quickly got up and walked past the bar counter of the restaurant. 

My dad followed behind me until we stopped behind a big plant. My back was to the restaurant, hiding my father from the other customers.

'What the hell are you doing here?!' I whisper-yelled.

'Y/N, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.' He tried to pull me into a hug but I pushed him away.

It was a relief to see that he was fine but I still hadn't gotten over the fact that he had decided to use me to pay his debt.

'Look, we don't have time for this. So just tell me, how did you know I was here?'

'A friend of mine saw you here and sent me a text. I needed you to know I'm doing everything I can to find a way to get you out of there. You won't have to live with the person who hurt your mom much longer. I promise I'll find another way to re-pay my debt so just hang in there-'

'What did you just say?' I cut him off.

'I'll find another way to pay-'

'No, not that. About mom? Who hurt her?'

My heart was pounding in my chest as I waited for his answer.

'He did.' He said, his eyes settling on something behind me.

No, it can't be.

'Rindou... is the one who assaulted mom?'

My dad shook his head. 'No, not Rindou. Him.' He pointed at something over my shoulder.

My brows furrowed as I turned around. There was now another person sitting next to Rindou at our table.

All color drained from my face as my eyes locked on him.

Ran.