Chapter 22

'Goodmorning, beautiful.' Rindou hugged me from behind and nuzzled his face in the crook of my neck while I cooked pancakes for us.

'Goodmorning.'

His warm hands slid up under the oversized t-shirt I was wearing as a pyjama.

'Rindou, stop. I have to get ready for my private lesson.'

My mouth was saying one thing but my body was saying another because goosebumps quickly rose on my arms. His hands caressed their way up my belly to finally settle on my breasts. 

'You sure?' He asked with his deeper morning voice. 

Fighting all of my urges, I nodded. 'Yeah... I really have to get ready.'

I looked at him over my shoulder as he took a step back, raising his hands in surrender.  'Alright, alright. I'll stop. But go sit down, I'll make the pancakes.'

'What a gentleman.' I teased him as I made my way to the table.

'Only for you.' He replied before turning around to flip the pancake. 

I ran my eyes over his shirtless back, appreciating each flex of his muscles.

I could get used to that type of morning... 

My attention was grabbed by a knock at the door.

'Are you expecting someone?' I asked him.

'No. Maybe it's just a package delivery.'

'I'll go open it.' I offered as he was still busy making the pancakes.

I walked to the door and opened it, coming face to face with Mikey. His eyes slowly traveled up and down my body, drinking in my still slightly tousled hair, my oversized t-shirt and my bare legs.

I was too surprised to say anything for a few seconds so he spoke first. 'Goodmorning, Y/N.'

'G-goodmorning.'

'Who is it?' Rindou asked me as he walked out of the kitchen. He locked eyes with his boss who was still standing at the door. 'Sano?'

Mikey raised a hand. 'Relax, I didn't come here to see you. I came here to see Y/N.'

'Me?' I asked in disbelief. 

The man let out a chuckle at my dumbfounded expression. 'Yeah. We're going for a walk.'

Canceling with my private teacher seemed like a way less scary option than saying no to the leader of Bonten.

'S-sure. I'll go get ready.'

---------------------------------------------------------

'You're not gonna eat it?' Mikey asked, pointing at the Dorayaki I was holding in my hands. He had just bought it at a street food stand.

'There's probably something I should confess. Something I lied to you about on the rooftop.'

He raised one eyebrow and waited for me to continue.

'I... don't like Dorayaki.'

Mikey laughed softly. 'Why would you lie about that?'

'I thought you were about to jump so I panicked...'

Without a word, he took the Dorayaki from my hands and started eating it.

'What?' He asked between two bites when he noticed I was staring. 'Unlike you, I didn't lie when I said it was my favorite food.'

We walked along in a comfortable silence for a few moments, admiring the grounds full of trees , shrubs and flowers of the park next to us.

'You lost your mom, right?'

Mikey's question took me aback. My eyes widened as I gazed up at him.

'Sorry, I shouldn't-'

'No, that's fine.' I interrupted him. 'Yes, I did lose my mom when I was younger. How did you know?'

'I know more about you than you think.' He replied, an enigmatic smile playing on his lips. 'For example, I know your dad was never really there for you and that he was sometimes violent when he was drunk. I know you've always wanted to become a nurse and that you sometimes care more about others than you do about yourself...'

He sneaked a quick glance at my face. His eyes dropped to my mouth that hung slightly open. 'What? Did you really think I would have let Rindou take you in if I didn't know anything about you?'

I guess it makes sense. As gang members, they have to pick who they can and cannot trust carefully.

A few seconds of silence passed while I hesitated to return the question. 'How about you? Have you lost someone?'

He let out a dry chuckle but the flicker of sadness that crossed his face didn't go unnoticed by me. 'Yeah, I have. By the way, we didn't get to finish our conversation last time. So tell me. Do you like living with Rindou?'

Trying to change the subject, I see.

'I do. That's the problem.'

'The problem?'

'Well, he forced me to live with him and yet... I enjoy it. Isn't there something wrong with me?'

Mikey shrugged his shoulders. 'There's something wrong with everyone. Some people are just better at hiding it than others. In reality, we're all prisoners of something. Whether it's of our memories, our thoughts or our ambition...'

I was so busy listening to what he was saying that I hadn't even noticed we were already back in front of my building. Mikey stopped and reached into his pocket to take a cigarette. After litting it, he kept his gaze fixed on me while he took a first drag off of it.

Nothing could have prepared me for what he said next.

'But you should remember that no matter how shiny and beautiful the cage you live in is, it's still a cage, Y/N.'

His words caused a chill shiver to ripple through me and I shuddered at the sensation.

Little did I know, I was about to be reminded just how true that statement was.