Chapter 19

When Rindou said we were going to a party, this is not what I expected.

My eyes swept over the large ballroom in front of me. On the way here, Rindou had explained that a lot of rich and important people, like politicians or CEOs, were involved in Bonten's activities and secretly funding the gang for their own personal interest. So I wasn't surprised when I recognized a few famous people I had seen on TV before.

I held Rindou's arm as he led me to one of the small high tables in the middle of the room. 

-Wait here, I'll go get you a drink.

I nodded and watched him disappear in the crowd of people.

My eyes scanned the room, involuntarily searching for one person in particular. It's only when I caught sight of Ran that I realized he was the one I  had been looking for. 

Rindou's brother was standing at another high table a few meters away from mine and next to a  woman he was having a conversation with. I felt a pang of jealousy as I watched them from a distance. 

As if sensing that someone was staring at him, Ran's gaze shifted to me. Our eyes met for a split second before I looked down.

Naomi probably came here with Sanzu, I should try to find her.

I gazed up and scanned the room again but not without sneaking one last glance at Ran's table. To my surprise, the woman Ran had been talking to was now alone. 

'Looking for someone?'

I nearly jumped out of my skin and turned to look at the person standing next to me. 

Ran's smirk spread into a smile as he took a sip of his drink. He looked as elegant as ever in his black tailored suit.

His eyes subtly paced from my face to my body.  'You look beautiful.'

Heat rose to my face and I turned my head away from him.

'Still ignoring me?' 

The twinge of amusement in his voice made me roll my eyes. 

'Glad to see that this is funny to you.'

'It was pretty funny to see you jealous.'

'I was not jealous.' I immediately denied.

'Really? So you're not going to admit your feelings for me?'

Taking the opportunity to mess with him the same way he seemed to enjoy messing with me, I looked back at him and tilted my head in mock innocence. 'How can I admit something that's not true?'

Ran chuckled and leaned forward. I held my breath as he brough his lips a mere inch away from mine. But I waited for something that never happened because instead of kissing me, Ran took a step back.

'Are you sure about that?' Those purple eyes stared into my own with amusement. 

I was so embarassed by what happened that I walked away. Finding the elevator, I stepped inside of it and pressed the button of the last floor. 

When I stepped outside of the elevator, there was another door in front of me. A gust of cold air hit me as I opened it and took a step on the rooftop of the building.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding but my respite was short-lived because I noticed another person sitting on the edge of the rooftop.

Is he about to jump?!

The only thing I could see from here was that his hair was white and short, that there was a tattoo on his nape and that he was wearing a black shirt.