CHAPTER FOUR | PRINCESS BADASSERY

Start from the beginning

"There's no time for the stupid details, guys!" Robin snapped in an unusually rude tone, then shooting Sloane a wink. The girl bit back a smile as she mouthed, "thank you."

"So, what do we think this shit is this time?" Sloane changed the subject, ignoring the look from Steve that told her, they were definitely talking about Eddie's house later.

"Vecna's curse," Dustin blurted in sudden realization, causing Sloane, Robin, Steve, and Max to share a confused look, while Dustin and Eddie seemed to know exactly what the other was talking about.

"What's Vecna?" Steve and Sloane asked quietly in unison.

"It's more of a who." Eddie added before Dustin could cut the older boy off off.

"An undead creature of great power." Dustin looked back at Steve and Sloane with a near-terrified look.

"Well, we need a plan or a miracle!" Sloane slumped back against the box Steve was sitting on.

"Well..." Dustin smiled innocently before ranting on and on about his said plan.

After they left the boathouse that night, Steve and Sloane were practically running a taxi-cab service around Hawkins.

First stop: Dustin Henderson's house.

"Steve, I need your advice on my new cologne, come check this out," Dustin prompted Steve to walk inside with the younger boy, leaving the trio of girls sitting in the car silently. Robin poked Sloane's shoulder, causing her to glance back into the backseat with the two girls. Robin looked at her with knowing eyes, but Max stayed silent, dazed gaze out the window, with her headphones on and was practically blaring Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill.

"Sooooo," Robin started, "are we not gonna to talk about... it?"

"About what?" Sloane shot back, looking at Robin in the rear view mirror.

"The way Eddie looked at you! The way you looked at him! The tension! You grabbed his hand, Sloane! I know you don't believe me and you think it's just the drugs talking or something but listen, listen to me. I was on drugs, last summer. Remember the Russians drugged us? If I can spend like, ten hours with Steve The Hair Harrington, and the Princess of Hawkins High, drugged, and not fall in love with either of you — " Robin rambled.

"You hated us."

"...right. That isn't the point! What I'm saying is - "

"You're saying you can be on drugs and not fall in love, which only further proves my point, Rob." Sloane leaned her head back on the seat as a tired smile wiped her lips.

"All I'm saying is, even when drugged by Russians, Steve and I don't look at each other like that," Robin pointed out, and before Sloane had a chance to argue back, Steve was opening up the car door again, shaking his head and laughing at whatever Dustin had shown him.

The four continued to drive to the opposite side of Hawkins, where the trailer park was.

Second stop: Max Mayfield's trailer.

Sloane shuttered as she took a look at Eddie's trailer. The police tape, the vacant police cars, the barriers, and the abandoned riot signs were enough to give the girl the heebie-jeebies. Steve noticed the shift in comfort for his sister and kept a close eye on her as he threw the car in park.

"Thanks for the ride," Max said drily, slamming the car shut and marching to her front door. Steve watched carefully as Max walked across the lawn, making sure she was inside the house before pulling off down the road to their third and final destination.