CHAPTER TWELVE | DIARY UNDER THE BED

CHAPTER TWELVEDIARY UNDER THE BED

CHAPTER TWELVE
DIARY UNDER THE BED

"So, you're sure this is it?" Sloane questioned, taking in the sight of the nearly unrecognizable Wheeler house.

"Hey, maybe after this, we can go to the Harrington's, check under Sloane's bed and see if there's a monster version of that di--"

"DIARY!" Sloane slapped her hand over Eddie's mouth, giving a shut-up-or-you're-dead look to the curly headed boy, who winked in her direction, clearly trying to rile her up.

"WHAT?" Steve whipped his head around, careful to not blow a gasket right then and there. He knew he had to be quiet, but honestly, he was having a hard time remaining quiet and civil whilst thinking of two things: Eddie in his sister's bedroom and what the hell was under her bed. He didn't even want to know.

"Guys, shut up and come on!" Nancy groaned, turning the cold and slimy knob into her house. This shell of a house was not her home. Even though Sloane had only ever been inside the Wheeler's house a few times during their adventures over the past three years, this alternate dimension of the house didn't offer the same warm comforting welcome it did before. There was definitely no Mrs. Wheeler baking chocolate chip cookies for her guests in the kitchen.

The thought alone reminded Sloane of yet another reason she didn't like Nancy Wheeler. Nancy never had to beg for a mother's love, Nancy never had to be the best of the best in order to get a smile from her mom. When it came to Steve and Sloane's own mother, good was disappointing, great was tolerated, and perfection was expected. When Steve struck out in little league baseball, Mrs. Harrington left, not bearing to watch another moment. When Sloane was a finalist in the spelling bee but only ended being runner up, her mother let her know how much she failed. Perfection was the only thing the Harrington's would reward, because if you aren't first, you're last, they so often told their children.

"Might be time to get a maid, Wheeler." Robin smiled through her mini-mental breakdown Sloane could tell she was having.

"Just, come on. I don't want to be here longer than we have to." Nancy grunted as she trudged up the stairs, and the rest of the gang was soon to follow.

***

"Those aren't guns." Eddie panicked, pointing to the heels in the shoe box that lay in front of the teens.

"I don't understand." Nancy whispered to herself, running a stressed hand through her hair - a nervous habit she'd picked up from Steve, no doubt. Sloane thought something seemed weird between the two the passed few days, but she couldn't quite place the feeling.

"Maybe you put them somewhere else?" Eddie suggested frantically, causing Nancy to snap. "There's a six year old in the house. I know where I keep my guns." The curly headed girl immediately glanced at Sloane after snapping at Eddie, half-heartedly expecting the Harrington girl to reign hell on her.