Chapter 28: Fall in. (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Lay Reina down over here and we'll get her checked up," Lady Marigold. "You can trust my crew, they're some of the best."

"We know," Valandus smirked. "You poached quite a few from us."

"Well great minds do think alike," she laughed. "Now before we head to my quarters, is miss assassin over there okay? She's acting quite shy."

"Assassin?" Kyle and Lillia both looked to where Lady Marigold had indicated only to see Melissa.

The women hid her face behind her hands, "I-I don't do that anymore. I'm sorry about before."

"Ah it's in the past," Lady Marigold bushed her anxiousness away. "Plenty of people have tried to kill me. Mind you, you came exceptionally close but it's nice to see you mellowed out."

Both Kyle and Lillia couldn't believe their ears as Valandus simply smiled, "We in the Hero's Guard come from the best of the best. Don't mind it. Why do you think we call the Captain, Captain? He used to be a pirate."

"What?" Kyle and Lillia spat.

"No of course not," he laughed only to groan as his wounded side flared. "Captain is an orthodox guy. Reina's a bit of a story but she'd kill me if I said anything." He turned to Lady Marigold, "Anyway, we have quite a bit to discuss and it'll take some time. What did you call us for? It might be better if we take a look at that first."

Lady Marigold nodded in understanding but also held a complicated expression, "Well it ain't easy that's for sure. Thing is we found some people, a pair actually."

"What, did you find them in the fog?" Valandus scoffed.

"Exactly that my fine 2nd Officer," it wasn't a joke as her expression showed the serious nature.

"You're kidding me...." The driver gaped. "And they're alive?"

"Very much so, the two are enjoying a nice beer in the mess tent."

Kyle couldn't remain still, knowing what the fog was, his curiosity broke free, "Can we meet them? Did they say who they were? Where did you find them?"

"Settle down," the Lady calmed him as did Lillia who stood beside him. "We found them a few hours ago. They say they're from another sweeper crew far to the north, gave a name and everything but, the name they gave hasn't been active for a good twenty years. The fog can do some trippy things to you, so we're keeping it quiet while we watch them. Hence why I called."

"Well you certainly made the right choice," Valandus scratched his head. "Though with our current predicament I'm not sure how much we can do. We'll check them out briefly, mostly to sate Kyle's curiosity. Seriously you look like you're going to explode."

"Ah, sorry," Kyle closed his eyes and breathed concentrating on the feeling of Lillia who stuck close by him. "Okay let's go."

"Not yet," the driver looked to Melissa. "You armed?"

"Always am," she responded easily.

Lillia stepped in, "Wait, we're not going to fight them are we?"

"This could be another trap." Valandus checked the pistol he had taken from the airship, "We're just being careful and so should you."

Lady Marigold led the way to the mess tent. Again the structure of the tent was semi-permanent and made up one of the largest within the campsite. Though the walls were made form thick cloth, the material itself had been enchanted to block out more than just the environment. Supported from within by large wooden poles, the tent had a jolly atmosphere as the tables that lined the space were laden with drink and many of the sweeper crew. Despite the late night they still hadn't settled down.