Chapter25

"Yui-obasan?" A small voice called gently into the darkness of the room. The woman who was sitting down on the floor between the window and the double bed where her best friend used to sleep looked up at the owner of the angelic voice.

The young girl walked, almost timidly, towards the brown haired female.

"Oh! Sakura-chan! I-I'm so sorry for rushing off like that- I really do apologise!" The pinkette sat down beside the woman and emerald green met sky blue.

"You don't need to apologise Yui-obasan." The four year old smiled softly up at the brunette. "You don't need to hide your true feelings, it's normal and understandable for you to be upset.. your best friend and her husband died, in all honesty I'm surprised you've managed to hold it in this long." Yui sniffed before hugging Sakura tightly.

"Still," She sobbed. "I'm the adult out of the two of us! I should be the one comforting you! Mebuki-chan was your mother after all, you should be the one crying whilst I should be the one trying to cheer you up! All these years.. I've wanted to be a parent so badly and yet I can't seem to properly look after you. I'm a bad friend! I can't seem to do anything right and all this is just a mess!" Tears soaked Sakura's clothes; however the pinkette paid no mind to that as she focused on the broken woman whose embrace she was in.

"I'm leaving you when you need me the most and for that I feel terrible! I'm so sorry Sakura-chan! I really am!" Sakura pat Yui on the back as the older female continued to cry. She was truly surprised that the brunette's façade hadn't crumbled until now. "A-and I guess I feel worse because I-I know how you feel.." The sky eyed woman sniffed before pulling away from the child.

"When I was.. well, a little older then you are now I went through what has to be the most traumatic event in my life.." And so Sakura listened to the woman's tale. It was one she had been told only minutes before via Inner. Her knowing every detail of the event did not take away from the horror the story made her feel. "I- well let's start with my parents.. my mother was a beautiful woman with short, peach coloured hair and sky blue eyes.. they were actually the same shade as my own. She had fair skin and her favourite kimono was the most gorgeous shade of green, similar to the colour of your eyes. Anyway.. my mother was a kind woman who was rather reserved.."

"I got my brown hair from my father, he had grey eyes and a pale complexion. He worked in the mines nearby the village we lived in. It was a reasonably dangerous line of work but we never really worried. My father would often leave early in the morning and arrive back late at night when I was either in bed or eating dinner. One day I woke up and discovered that my father had not yet returned, my mother explained to me that he would be back later on however no matter how long I waited he didn't come back." The brown haired woman inhaled shakily before she continued. "So that night I decided to head over to the mines. When I got there it was fully dark and only the torches set up at the front of the mine gave off light. I didn't see anyone around and so I made the stupid decision of entering the mine.."

The rosette nibbled on her bottom lip as she listened to the brunette's story. 

"I- well.. I don't remember much after entering the mine but I do recall the voice of my father calling out to me, telling me to run. Then I think there was a loud rumble and then darkness.. The next thing I knew I woke up in a hospital and they told me that there had been cave-in and my ovaries had been damaged. They- they also told me that both my parents had passed.." Yui wet her trembling lips. "It turned out that my mother had followed me to the mine and when the cave collapsed she had been hit in the head and her stomach was pierced by a sharp rock.."

"..And.. what about your father?" Sakura asked after a moment of hesitation. The ends of the woman's lips twitched up into a sad smile.

"He was suffocated by the amount of rocks burying him. The doctors assumed he had been alive for a small while however eventually his lungs just.. collapsed.." Sakura felt her breath leave her own lungs as she imagined how frightened the man must have been in his last moments. "They said it was a miracle you know.." The pinkette looked up at Yui.