Twenty Three

Harlow's POV

The second my consciousness comes back to me, I woke up with a splitting headache. I thought maybe I'd just woken up from a bad dream, but the second my eyes opened I realized something was off.

This isn't my room.

This isn't my house...

With squinted eyes, I noticed I still have on the same clothes I was wearing last night when... When...

Wait. Is that? No. It can't be him.

"Xavier?!" I yelled, scrambling back against the headboard of the bed.

"What?!" He startled awake from the small chair he was seated in.

"What's going on? Why are you here? No, wait... Why am I here?" I asked frantically.

"Harlow, do you not remember last night?" He asked, giving me a pitiful look.

"Leo! Where is he?!"

"I'm so sorry... He's... He's gone Harlow."

"No. No, he can't be gone. He has to be home."

"I have to go." I decided, jumping up from the bed.

He has to be home. Last night didn't happen. It couldn't have. It wasn't real. I won't believe it.

"Please, Harlow. You're not in the right head space to go about on your own."

"I have to go home! He has to be there! He... He has to be." I cried.

"If that's what you need then I will take you there."

"Why would you help me?! You're the one who left me in the first place. Now you decide to show up?"

He sighed. "Look, I can stay here if you don't want to be near me. Louis can take you and-"

"Great. I'll be downstairs."

Quickly finding my shoes, I placed my feet in them, not bothering to put them on fully. I was already annoyed with the feeling of the heel digging into my foot, but that's the least of my concerns. I need to find Leo.

By the time I reach the front entrance to the oddly familiar hotel, Louis is leaning against a blacked out SUV.

"Hey, Harlow." He spoke solemnly.

"Please take me home."

"Of course." He responded, opening the door for me.

I told him my address and within twenty minutes, we're pulling up to the front of our house.

My hands shaking uncontrollably as I step out, not wanting to face the new reality before me. As much as I want to walk in that house, my feet stayed firmly planted on the sidewalk on the edge of our driveway.

I heard the faint sound of a window rolling down as Louis's voice came from inside. "Do you want me to come in with you?" He asked.

"Uh... No. Thanks." I don't want anyone seeing my home. This isn't their place. It's a place that's sacred to only me and Leo.

"I'm going to wait in case you don't feel like being here for long. Take as long as you need."

I nodded to him, dragging my feet up the driveway and to the front door. My body, it feels numb. I feel like my whole life has yet again been ripped out from under me. This doesn't feel real.

I don't want this to be real.

Turning the key until I hear the audible sound of the lock coming undone, I took an unsteady breathbefote walking through the door.