Sixteen

Xavier's POV

It took me hours to finally fall asleep. I spent most the night watching Harlow, debating if he really deserves to go through all of this. He wanted out of this life. Out of the threats, the murders, the pain. I don't know if I can handle watching him hurt. Knowing that the pain he's feeling is from me, and the longer he is with me, all he's going to feel is pain.

Maybe I'm not worthy of his love. I need him to be safe, to be protected.

I really thought I could keep him safe here... But the more I think about it, the more I've come to the realization that he will never be safe with me.
With hot tears falling from my eyes, down my cheeks, I silently head to the closet to get dressed. I throw on the first thing I can find, carefully making my way down to the kitchen. Harlow barely stirred when I left the room, closing the door quietly behind me.

I started a pot of coffee, searching for a pen and paper.

It has to be done. There's no other way.

I released a broken, shaky breath, and began to write.

Harlow, meeting you... It's been the best days of my life. I'm so sorry I have to do this to you. I will forever cherish our memories together. They will always be placed deep in my heart. I've put you through too much pain, and I come to the realization that this pain...This battle, it will never end. I need you to let go of me. You need to forget about me and find someone who can truly protect you. Someone who will love you unconditionally and keep you safe. Something I was not able to do. I've left you some money to settle wherever you want in this world. Go travel, be free... Live your life. I will always love you until the day that I'm no longer on this earth. Please, take care of your self.

With all my love, Xavier.

I folded up the letter, signing the front of it with Harlow's name. My beautiful baby. The love of my life.

Quietly, I walk upstairs, breathing slowly to calm my erratic heart. I carefully placed the cup of coffee with the letter on the nightstand beside him.

It's better this way.

With one final look at Harlow's beautiful face. I turn around and walk out of the house.

Harlow's POV

With my eyes still closed, I stretch my body out, reaching my arms over to cuddle with Xavier. It was a rough night last night, I don't think either of us were thinking clearly. Mainly myself. I'll spend the day making it up with him. We'll figure a way out of this together. I've never loved anyone before, so I don't really know how relationships work. I probably shouldn't have acted like a child and completely lost my shit, but it hurt me. I didn't know how else to react.

When my arm reached over, I realized Xavier was no longer in bed with me. Maybe he just went downstairs, or outside... He probably has some phone calls to make anyways.

I looked over to the nightstand and noticed the cup of coffee beside me. I smiled, lifting the cup to my lips. As I was about to take a sip, I saw a letter with my name on it, neatly folded. Strange.

Seeing that there made me nervous. With a trembling hand, I set the cup down and picked up the letter. I unfolded it slowly to see Xavier's beautiful handwriting. Maybe it's a love-

I need you to let go of me. You need to forget about me and find someone who can truly protect you.

Go travel, be free... Live your life.