Eighteen

Harlow's POV

"Micah! It's so good to see you." Emmy, my new landlord said.

"Here are your keys. I hope this place will feel like home for you!" She tossed them over with a delighted look on her face.

It doesn't feel like home without Xavier, but it will have to do. I'm not going to dwell on him though... Today's supposed to be a good day. I finally have something I can call my own.

"Thank you for meeting me so early, I had to check out of the hotel by 8." I said.

"No need to apologize! I have a few showings this morning that are on the way anyways. I have to get going, but please don't forget, call me if you need anything." She said, beginning to walk down the street towards her car.

"Of course. Have a nice day, Emmy." I responded.

"Yes, you too!" She waved and got into her car.

I stood there, standing at the old brick building, taking everything in. My new home.

I walk slowly up the steps, running my hand up the black metal railing, avoiding the spiky ends and Inserting the key in the door. I turn the knob, entering what feels like a strangers home.
I guess this place is less of an apartment and more of a town house, but it's only one level per complex. I think there's stairs at the back for the tenants who live above me. I'm not sure.

"I can't believe this is all mine."  I spoke out loud to myself.

I ordered some furniture online that should be here in a couple days. Luckily the living room and kitchen came furnished, I made a deal to pay a small amount extra every month to keep it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to sleeping on the couch though. I drag my small suitcase of clothing inside and begin hanging everything up in the closet of my new bedroom. Once I finished, I flop down on the couch, laying my head down on the surprisingly soft pillow.

------

Evening finally comes. Realizing I haven't ate yet, again, I throw on a hoodie and jeans to pick something up from the restaurant up the road. I've been missing some meals this last week, but I've made sure to at least eat something once a day. That's better than nothing I guess. The first week I ate a ton, now I don't really feel like eating anything at all.

Once I get back, I place my food down on the coffee table, reaching for a slice of the pizza I bought.

The first bite I take, I nearly moaned at how delicious it was. Damn, I can't say I've had pizza this good. I didn't realize just how hungry I was until now.

After a few slices, I close up the box, placing it in the fridge. I stood in the kitchen, leaning my elbows on the counter. Right, I was going to call Leo.

I reach into my jacket pocket, pulling out the napkin he put his number on. I take out my new phone and dial his number. Without hesitating, I pressed call.

I wonder if he's going to answer. It would really be nice to be closer with someone around here. I just don't want to be alone anymo-

"Hello?" His smooth British accent came through the small speakers like a melody.

"Oh! Um, Hi... Leo?" I asked nervously, already knowing it's him, but I have to be sure. How awkward would that be if I called the wrong number.