Chapter 27: A Growing Tale (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Finally they all settled down and took stock of their surroundings. Their compartment took up half the carriage, and they were even given use of the one next door as it was unoccupied. Fully furnished with beds, a table and sink, the glamour of the compartment truly showed it was for the upper class. Situated right at the back of the train and with a private dining carriage just for them, it was almost too lavish for them to luck into.

Valandus melted into his resplendently cushioned chair and heaved a satisfied breath, "I am so glad the Captain volunteered me for this."

Melissa did the same, equally satisfied, "And if we're lucky we can still cash in on an extra break."

Kyle laughed, "Yeah I don't think we're going to get that. Or at least Lillia and I won't."

"On the plus side we did have time to get some souvenirs," Lillia happily packed away her bag. "Let's just not mention how much fun we had."

"It really has been a surprising trip," Kyle looked out the window. There was still some time before the train left and looking back into the city, though it wasn't as majestic as the Capital or Elmori, it was a fair bit more peaceful and had its own charms. "Now what?"

Melissa patted her stomach, "I sleep off my food coma."

"Same here," Valandus agreed wholeheartedly. "Though don't forget we have free drinks and food all the way to the Capital."

"I'm going to have to restart my diet...."

For some time the four of them chatted as they reminisced about their trip and forebodingly spoke of the work they'd have to finish when they returned. By the time the train left, a gentle sleep had replaced the banter and for several hours it stayed that way. It wasn't until the middle of the night when Kyle opened his eyes suddenly alert. Since his development as Estile, he was finding it easier to wake suddenly and like before, he was full of energy. Without even a yawn he exited his bed and looked out the window. They were passing through a small mountain range and aside from the rattle of the carriage, there was no other noise.

Lillia was sleeping in her own bed, Melissa in the one beside her and Valandus missing. Curious Kyle exited the compartment fully expecting where he would be. Like he had though Valandus was sitting by the bar of the empty dining cart, a drink in his hands.

"I seem to meet you quite often like this," Kyle noted as he sat beside him.

Valandus looked at him and took a sip of his drink, "Yep."

"Can't sleep?"

"Not by choice," the driver chuckled. "You be part of the Hero's Guard long enough and while there are some things you get used to, there are others you don't."

"You have nightmares?" Kyle asked hesitantly.

"Not every night but yeah, on occasion. It's one of the reasons you'll find many of us are quite the eager drinkers."

"Like Melissa?"

"Especially like her. She told you her story didn't she? Though I bet she was quite casual about it, having your leg gnawed off by a demon isn't something you forget easily. Then again she was pretty wild before she joined the Hero's Guard. She probably has just as much to drink to from back then." He placed his glass down empty.

"Hopefully we can change things," Kyle said sincerely.

If it were someone else Valandus may have scoffed but facing Kyle's earnest gaze he simply smiled, "I'd cheers to that but my glass is empty, you don't have one and our dear bartender went to grab a few things."

Kyle laughed, "Shame, I could use something warm."

"Well you could always help yourself. First class treatment and all, I'm sure they wouldn't-." His sentence cut off as the train suddenly jolted and their speed began to decrease. In an instant Valandus' slovenly appearance wiped away, replaced by an alert frown. His eyes snapped to the door leading to the next carriage and almost from nowhere a pistol slipped into his hands.

Kyle as well removed himself from his seat, ready as the military driver signalled for him to remain silent. Several seconds passed as the train continued to slow down and slowly Valandus reached the door all the while watching for even the tiniest of tells. A click and the cold air of the night rushed in through the open frame. Kyle followed as he moved to the next door bridging the two carriages and as it too opened, nothing happened.

The carriage was the dining cart for regular use, and like theirs it was empty. Valandus peeked inside and seeing nothing suspicious only frowned harder. As the train continued to slow however, a view in the distance curling around the scenery ahead forced them to assume the worst. Moving at a steady speed and far away was the rest of the train.

"Shit," Valandus swore and with that the world erupted. An explosion shook their surroundings and from above the mountain began to crumble. "Landslide!" He dived towards Kyle and forced him back into the dining carriage as they both took cover behind the bar. The impact came an instant later as the mass of rocks and earth pushed the carriage from its tracks and rolled them down the mountainside below.

Kyle remained oddly composed and vigilant as the carriage span again and again. The cabinets flew open releasing their wares as they only added to the chaos of sound and force. Bottles of liquor, cups and saucers, knives of all different sizes. The shrapnel sprang everywhere with random abandon, yet Kyle saw it all slowly. As they fell he pressed up against the bar, eyes alert for the hazardous missiles and as they came he batted them away. Falling in the centre everything including Valandus span around him. The danger had caused his senses to work in overdrive but his heart was strangely calm. If it had happened a few days earlier Kyle wouldn't have understood, but now it was clear, this was Estile's power. Finally the carriage came to a halt and the crashing noise fell to silence. The floor remained where it was, but the carriages that should have been beside them were missing.

Valandus coughed as he pulled himself from behind the counter, "Kyle you okay?"

"I'm fine," he replied easily, standing amongst the debris.

"Yeah so am I." Valandus let out a dry chuckle, "There goes my luck for the rest of the year." He finally gave Kyle a proper look. "How the hell is that fine!? Your hand is-."

Having sheltered them from the fall, Kyle's hand was battered and cut with bits of glass remaining wedged in his skin. A second later however and all that was left were the stains of blood as the rest faded to nothing, even the shards of glass fell cleanly to the floor.

"You know the Captain told me about it, but by the Hero seeing it upfront is different. On the plus side it looks I get to keep my luck. It doesn't count when it's done through skill."

"It still hurts though," Kyle shook his hand as his senses began to return to normal. The sudden clarity had faded, replaced by a simmering anxiety. "We need to find Melissa and Lillia."

"Yeah, I doubt that was it," Valandus readied his pistol. "If they knew who they were targeting we're in for a fight. First we need to get out of here. The trees outside will make better cover."