What is a Pronoun?

(The picture above is just a list of some examples of the pronouns you can use

(The picture above is just a list of some examples of the pronouns you can use. I'm not completely sure how to use all of them, therefore some of my explanation might be a little or completely off)

Just like sexuality and gender, to figure out which pronouns you prefer to be used when brought up in a conversation, you must first understand what a pronoun is and how to use them.

The literal definition of a pronoun is:

"A word that can function by itself as a noun phrase and that refers either to the participants in the discourse (e.g., I, you) or to someone or something mentioned elsewhere in the discourse (e.g., she, it, this)."

In lamest terms, a pronoun is just something that can be used to replace a noun, name, object, or noun phrase. You might use them to refer to a noun that has already been mentioned or to a noun that does not need its name mentioned specifically.

To figure out which pronouns you want to go by, you must figure out how you want to be viewed. Feminine, masculine, both, neither, or somewhere in between. Anybody can use any pronouns though, because it is solely based off of how you feel and want to be seen, not how you're made to be seen or feel. Pronouns do not have gender either. There is no one specific pronoun that belongs to a certain gender or orientation.

One of the most common pronouns used today is he or him. This pronoun is typically used by more masculine presenting people, but feminine, neutral and neither use this pronoun pretty commonly as well.

Another common pronoun is she or her. This pronoun is typically used by more feminine presenting people, but again, masculine, both and neither use this pronoun pretty commonly as well.

And another one of the most commonly used pronouns in todays society is they or them. This pronoun is typically used by people who don't have a gender or people who go by all genders. But, anybody can use this pronoun since it is pretty gender-neutral and friendly to all genders and orientations. This is a safe pronoun to use when you are not sure of somebody's pronouns just because it is gender-neutral and most likely won't offend the person you're using it for.

Next up is it or it's. This is commonly used for objects or people who don't have a gender. But, again, anybody can use this pronoun because it is gender-neutral and doesn't really refer to masculinity or femininity.

~

Those are just some of the most common pronouns, but there are many, many more. Since I don't understand them very well or know how to explain every single one of them without messing it up and giving you incorrect information, I'm going to suggest some websites that can hopefully explain them a lot better than I could and give you a good idea of what they are, what they present, and how to use them.

I have done a little research on them, but my understanding is not the best. But, if there are any specific pronouns you'd like me to look up and try to help you understand better, just let me know! We can learn together.

Hopefully, these websites will better your understanding.

The websites (it won't pop up as a website, so just copy the links and paste them into Google):

• https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/#a0

• https://www.thefreedictionary.com/List-of-pronouns.htm

• https://lgbtqia.ucdavis.edu/educated/pronouns-inclusive-language

• https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/gender-neutral-pronouns

• https://springfield.edu/gender-pronouns

• https://www.unf.edu/lgbtqcenter/Pronouns.aspx

• https://www.twinkl.com/teaching-wiki/personal-pronoun

• https://dictionary.tn/what-are-the-78-gender-pronouns-2/

~

One last thing I'd like to point out, pronouns are a part of the English language. Pronouns are not just for people, and you Karen's and grandpas out there sound stupid when you say that you don't have any. Yes you do. Everybody has pronouns, whether you're gay or not. Even objects and animals and inanimate things have pronouns. They are literally a part of English literacy, grammar, and the language. Nowadays, everybody sees them as a label because of how people use them, and that is completely okay, but just know that pronouns are not just for humans.