The Emperor's Secret - Part Eight

As soon as the better part of the night had passed, Kongpob left Prae's palace, practically scampering back to his bedroom quarters. He had a good talk with Prae, telling each other about their partners and discussing plans and politics that were to come. His mother was right in a sense, she was definitely the perfect Empress candidate, save for just that one tiny part that she was in love with another woman. But that - that was something Kongpob could work with.

Throwing the doors to his chambers open, he found Arthit huddled in a corner of their bed before he stood up in a hurry, surprised at his appearance.

"Why are you not in the robes that I had sent over?"

"Why are you here on your wedding night?"

They both spoke at the same time, eyes never leaving the other.

"Because it is my wedding night." Kongpob stepped forward, walking Arthit backwards towards the wall. "Because the person I want to marry is in this very room."

"Your Crown Princess awaits you, you shouldn't be here." Arthit said quietly, turning his head away from Kongpob. "I am but a musician who doesn't exist anywhere other than within the four walls of this room."

"You are the only person who holds my heart. And it will remain so for the rest of my life."

"Kong," Arthit started but was silenced with a kiss as the emperor tugged at his chin to face him. "The court will talk. Everyone in the palace will talk."

"No one will talk. If they were going to talk, they would have done so a long time ago." Kongpob mumbled against Arthit's lips. He moved to disrobe the other, gently peeling off the layers of clothing. "I want you to put on the robe."

"Why? Why are you doing this Kong?" Arthit asked, exasperated as he tried to stop the other from removing his clothes. "This is not where you are supposed to be."

"Don't push me away, Arthit please." Kongpob pleaded, resting his forehead on Arthit's shoulder. "I.. I will never be able to marry you, I can never make you my Empress. So please, let's do this at least."

He heaved a sigh, allowing his tears to soak through the final layer of clothing left on Arthit. "Please don't push me away. Even if it isn't real, even if no one knows, I want to marry you. I want the person I am bound to as my eternal partner to be you. I promised myself and you this before and I intend to keep it."

Arthit closed his eyes, gulping hard. He couldn't fight Kongpob, nor did he want to. "The entire palace is watching you, how could you be here instead of your wedding chamber?"

"Lin is there, it's fine." Kongpub muttered, as he resumed his peeling of Arthit's robes.

"Lin?"

"Prae doesn't like men, she never has. We've just talked this through, we are going to make use of each other. Her lover is her designated bodyguard, another woman. I left both of them in the room. Lin is an extraordinary guard, she would know if there were people snooping around. Besides, no one will question since I've spent an ample amount of time there already. "

"Kong! Don't you know how dangerous that is!" Arthit hissed, pummeling the other's chest.

"I was left with no choice!" Kongpob exclaimed, eyes wild. "No one would listen! My title is but a lie! The biggest lie ever! I have never had a choice in my life but this, this is the one thing I will not allow them to have a say in! Prae and I may be husband and wife in status but we will never be so in body and heart!"

He paused, picking up Arthit's hand to kiss the back of it. "Only you will have the whole of me. Always."

At these words, Arthit melted into Kongpob's touch. Who was he to deny his love? Kongpob had never feared anything, except for the fact that Arthit would leave him. He had made it clear time and time again. Staring into the other's eyes, he nodded.