20. Selfless Acts.

"I want you to meet someone." I dragged Chris' arm, and I was lucky he didn't resist. With a flute of champagne, he followed me to where my family sat in the graduation hall.

"Baby girl," my father spoke as he stood to hug me for the hundredth time just today. I smiled, and hugged him back. Next to him sat Lilly, she was a calm woman with auburn hair. She owned a flower shop back in the suburbs, and they announced that they would get married when I visited my family last weekend.

The idea still made my stomach spin, but Dad was doing this for him, and I was happy for him.

"Dad, this is Chris, my mentor," I introduced. "Chris, this is my father, that is Lilly and that idiot over there is my brother."

"She talks so much about you. Thank you so much for looking after our girl." My father shook Chris' hand gently with a smile as I blushed. Parents would tell all your secrets and act cool about it. It was true, I was boasting to my family about my mentor, my friend, and my second father.

On my graduation day, my family showed up and watched me get my medical degree.

"Be right back," I whispered to Chris and grabbed Juan. I think I underestimated how taller he had grown—he was taller than me now.

"Where are you taking me?" He whined, placing his hands in the pockets of his blue jacket. Whoever got that for him.

"I want you to meet someone"

"Your boyfriend?" he questioned, squinting his brown eyes and growing a smile on his face.

"Ew." I slapped his hand and came to a halt when I spotted the one and only Kathy Marcus—in the flesh. She was speaking to someone and I couldn't help but watch.

She wore the graduation gown and cap just like the rest of us, but unlike me, she wore six-inch heels with diamonds on them. I didn't doubt that those were real diamonds. Kathy had been looking forward to this day like no other, she did prepare so much for it and now that it was finally here, I wondered how she could contain her joy.

"It's her, isn't it?" Juan asked, grabbing my attention.

I hesitated for a moment, wondering whether to introduce my brother to my girlfriend.

And yes, Kathy and I were a thing now. It was an early graduation gift I gave to her, she asked me to date her, and thought I was scared at first, but I knew that it was worth it now. All I thought about was how she would break my heart and laugh in my face, but she didn't. Until the end of the way, she stayed with me, and now we were both graduating to make good doctors.

Fucking gorgeous doctors.

"What do you think?" I asked, exhaling nervously about his reply.

"She's fucking beautiful," Juan commented, and I slapped his hand immediately.

"Respect her. She's my bitch - oh shit, she's coming here." I held my breath, it felt like I was a sixteen-year-old finally talking to her crush. I could never get used to the butterflies that flew around in my tummy.

"Breath," Juan warned and placed his hand on my shoulder as he smiled at Kathy. It was as though they knew each other, and I considered watching out for my brother.

Yeah, I was far too jealous of everyone who looked at my girl.

"Hi," I greeted, clasping my hands behind my back.

Kathy smiled and placed a kiss on my lips, she wasn't concerned about what people would say. She pulled back and looked at Juan.

"You must be Juan, she talks about you a lot." Kathy pulled Juan into a hug, and my heart plummeted to my stomach. I cleared my throat to get their attention.

"I will see you later, let me take this fool back to his father." I smiled, gesturing to Juan.

"Of course." Kathy nodded and leaned in to whisper in my ear. "You look cute in that gown, and I have a surprise for you. Can't wait."

She then walked away, leaving me feeling like an idiot. It was after Juan snapped his fingers in my face that I got out of it.

Fuck, this was fun.

I took him back and got Chris in exchange. I chugged more wine down my throat to gain some courage.

I needed to come clean, and it had to happen today.

"Are you getting drunk here?" Chris asked, monitoring me.

I shook my head and laughed nervously. "Listen, I need to tell you something, and you have to know that it's alright if you hate me, or you wouldn't want to sign my residence application form, I will understand. It's not your fault, but I messed up."

He raised an eyebrow but did not say anything.

I swallowed.

"It's about Kelly and I," I started and shut my eyes. "We kissed and-"

I was cut off by the pearl of laughter that escaped Chris' lips. I slowly opened my mouth, perplexed that he would laugh about such a serious thing.

"What's funny? You're supposed to be mad at me."

"You're acting like a child, look, Kelly told me about it."

"She did?"

What exactly did she say?

"Yeah, and I want to apologize for her behavior, you're a good person to forgive her."

"Oh."

"I mean, you were drunk, it was wrong of her to kiss you. She was probably just confused. I'm sorry." He placed his hand on my shoulder. "You should know that I'm the proudest person in this room to have a student like you. You're bright, and you will change lives, I will vouch for you anywhere, anytime. I'm proud of you, Marshall."

"Chris," I couldn't even say anything more, I buried my face in his chest as he embraced me.

Kelly had done the most selfless thing ever, she vouched for me, even though she lied, she carried the blame. And like she promised me the first time we made out; she wouldn't let anything happen to my career, she kept her word.

Even when I thought they were only empty promises.

#

Last chapter folks. Please tell me it's been short and sweet🤭

Thank you for reading my book and oh, do hop on to the next chapter and read the prologue.