15. The kiss.

I gulped down another shot of tequila—god it was bitter, but where was the fun in not bitter stuff?

"So, what's the catch?" I asked, my eyes gazing back at Kathy Marcus seated on the bar stool next to mine. While she downed her shot, my eyes wandered a little more over her outfit. Unlike me, she was dressed to party in a 'piece of cloth'. It only covered her breast, ass, and vagina. All the thighs, were out there, displayed for the world to see, and I wondered if her parents saw her leave the house like this.

Oh shoot, she did not give a fuck!

"There's no catch." Her dark eyes were even darker in the LED lights of the club. The music was loud, but we could communicate. 

She looked back at the bartender. "Two more."

We had started with the mild stuff, and I wasn't so sure what time exactly did we switch to shots. But who cares anyway, so far, she hadn't annoyed me, so I was just okay. And for once, my body didn't feel like moving away from Kathy, although I couldn't say I was okay with this. She wanted something, and I was yet to find out.

She was mad to think I would believe that shit about celebrating our cooperation and stuff. And this wasn't my idea of celebrating Joy Paige's life. I would have taken her balloons and a get-well-soon card. Perhaps grab her a milkshake and tell her some of the lamest stories I had at the age of nine.

"There's always a catch," I said, swallowing another shot.

I was getting lightheaded by the minute.

"No, not this time," she mumbled, trying so hard to convince me. How was I supposed to believe that she had grown nice overnight?

"I don't understand why you're lying. C'mon, cut the bullshit."

"Fine." She bit on her bottom lip before her eyes flickered to me and back to the bartender. That guy was probably tired of serving us, but that was his job. She raised two fingers, instructing him to give us two more, which got me wondering just how bad of a drunkard she was.

"You know that tomorrow is a workday right?"

She chuckled. "Look who is crying."

"Bring it on."

"That's more like it." She pushed me another shot. "So, I meant what I said about there being no catch. These two days I have worked with you, though annoying, I have learned a bunch of things about you."

Ha! She knew nothing about me.

"And I just…you know me, I don't have any real friends." She rolled her eyes. "I know you think I'm a bitch and all, but I don't blame you, I am a bitch. When we moved here, I lost my good side."

"How?"

"Imagine living in a compound surrounded by racists. And we were poor." She chuckled, quite painfully, for a second. "So my father worked extra hard to give me all this and to be respected. I became a cold bitch who didn't give a fuck about anyone but myself. I wanted to prove a point that I could be better than them. I guess it went too far. There is no going back."

So, that was the dirty secret.

I nodded and pretended to understand because honestly, I could not relate, I grew up with loving neighbors and good parents. The least I could do was try to get where she came from.

"If you told me that earlier, I seriously wouldn't hate you so much," I confessed.

"Whatever." She smiled, quite genuinely this time, and it was somewhat nice. I didn't forgive her for being a bitch to me all the time, but there was room for me to try to understand her.  Besides, she said she wanted a friend, I could try to be that—provided we did not bite each other's heads off after the alcohol wore out.

"So, I don't think I have seen you with any guy—except that cute one, but you denied it. Don't you have a boyfriend?"

Ugh, too personal. But we were both drunk, and she wouldn't remember any of this.

"Nope. I don't do boys."

"Wait, you want to become a nun?" Her eyes lit up.

The fuck?

"No, I… I'm gay, Kathy." I waited for her reaction, but only her eyes grew wide. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Luckily, she snapped out of it faster than I expected. "Yes, I do, and I love him."

I nodded.

For the next hours, I listened to stories about her and the boyfriend, and honestly, I wasn't complaining. I liked that she had shifted her attention from me to herself.

Even the entire ride back home, she told me about when they went to Africa. The two were adventurous, and I wondered why they wasted time traveling the world when they could sleep all the time.

I didn't interrupt her to air out my thoughts, I bet her driver had to put up with a lot. He was a middle-aged mine dressed in casual clothes and didn't talk much.

"You guys have so much fun together," I said when the car stopped in front of my apartment.

Kathy Marcus giggled. "Yeah, this is your home?"

I nodded.

"Well, I had fun tonight."

I nodded.

"Did you not?"

I chuckled. It could have been the booze finally getting to me, but I couldn't get my eyes off Kathy's thighs, they looked so smooth.

Definitely the booze.

"I did." I smiled. It took me another minute to realize how close she was to me. She placed my hand on her thigh. "What are you doing?" I whispered, hypnotized by how smooth her skin felt against my palms.

She didn't say anything, though, only grabbed my neck and brought her lips to mine.

Was she drunk?

Kathy Marcus kissed me and it was intoxicatingly sweet.

So, I considered kissing her back when it hit me. Hard that I couldn't ignore; she had a boyfriend. She loved her boyfriend. They were happy.

So, why the fuck was she kissing me?

I pulled away and trotted out of the car as fast as I could.

"Marshall!" Kathy called after me, but I banged the car door and never looked back.

#
I so did not expect this.
It's definitely the booze😹