5. Bad day.

"Will you bump into me too?" Chris asked, eyebrows drawn together with confusion, and his green eyes searched mine.

"I-I didn't see you. I'm sorry." I exhaled and let him put his hands on both my shoulders. A few days back, this sort of contact would bring me comfort and help me relax, but now it felt like a threat, it made me tenser.

I was scared. What if he saw right through me and figured that everything was not right anymore?

I would be damned.

"I'm sorry," I apologized and looked into his eyes. It felt like looking at a blinding light but not able to look away even if it meant going blind.

"It's okay. I saw you talking to Kathy earlier, is this about her?" he questioned.

I gritted my teeth and looked away. It was no secret that Kathy and I weren't fond of each other, and Chris among others knew that fact.

We acted like little girls even when we were both older women, capable of being just as civilized as everyone else in this place. Yet, we chose to bicker from time to time; every time we saw each other. And it wasn't easy because that was like every day. Every fucking day of seeing the most annoying person on the planet.

I had no doubts that Kathy shared the same feeling toward me. She hated me, and that was why she was dead set on making my days in this hospital less pleasant. But fuck it though, in a few more months I would be done with my internship and I would apply for residency somewhere else.

"It's nothing serious. Same old."

"Okay." Chris bobbed his head in understanding, and I wondered if he really did or if he just wanted to give me my space.

But why was he still standing in front of me? With his hands on my shoulders?

Awkward.

"W-will you let me go?" I mumbled under my breath, still refusing to look back at him. I was ashamed, and the worst part was he was the reason for this. If only he realized how mortified I was to face him, he would not show his face to me ever again.

But I did not blame him.

"Yeah, of course," he paused. "Hey, I think you should go home…you look exhausted and it-"

"I'm okay, Chris," I cut him off. I did not need to be babied, I was an adult and I could handle my problems. Sure, I was thankful for his concern, but now was not the time.

"I'm not asking, Marshall."

I met his eyes with confusion, why was he sending me home? Did someone ask him to do this? I wanted to be here. I wanted to be with Joy Paige, she was cute, and she'd make me feel better even when it was supposed to be the other way around. If I went home, I would only sulk in my boredom and regret ever living at all.

I wanted to be here.

But he did not give me a chance to make my case and reason with him.

"You haven't been yourself, zoning out, bumping into people…you need more rest. Tell you what, tomorrow you come here in the morning and give me all the information you will find out about your case," he spoke and massaged my shoulders gently. "I will email you more notes. And when you get here, I expect you to have everything to help that kid."

I nodded. There was nothing I could do about it.

"Promise me you will put your mind to this. We don't have much time, Marshall. I need your brain, alright?"

I nodded.

"Okay?"

"Yes," I gave him the words he required.

"Good, now go on. Grab a coffee, just one, and do something. Rest, eat and study." He sent me off and without looking back, I got on the bus home.

The silence wasn't a surprise, if anything it was why I avoided it. I had been alone for seven days, and I wanted to avoid returning to that moment of regret and sadness. But I did not have a choice and could not go against his request. He was only looking out for me if anything. I shouldn't hate him for it.

With a sigh, I slid out of my sneakers, before grabbing my laptop.

Just when I was about to start looking at the new notes Chris had lashed to me, my brother's head popped up on my scream and I smiled.

[Hi silly, I miss you. And guess what...]-Juan.

His message read.

He could have kept me guessing for hours, and I wasn't in the mood to use my brain, not yet. So, I pressed the call button and waited for him to pick up.

When his nose appeared on the screen, I smiled. He adjusted the camera, so I could get a clear look at his face. Same brown eyes, same brown hair, only his face had tiny freckles. I always admired it there.

"Ola," he greeted with a wide grin. He wasn't home, maybe he was in town.

"What are you doing? Can you talk? Are you busy?" I asked.

"Yeah, came to grab some bats with my guys."

"Bats?"

"Baseball bats?" He shook his head as though I were the dumb one.

Right.

"Tell me, what's the surprise or whatever?" I went straight to the point.

"Oh, It-"

What imperfect timing, someone thought to knock on my door. For the first few seconds, I ignored them, but when they would not stop, I had no choice. I got out of bed and went straight to the door, my eyes fixed on Juan, who was whistling and saying something to his friend.

I opened the door and guess who stood there?

My day couldn't have gotten any more disastrous.

#