7. Spill.

As soon as I saw Kelly's car leave my driveway, I placed the bag she gave me in the closet. I wasn't sure I would ever open that gift—whatever it was.

I sat back on the bed and dialed my brother's number. Maybe he would cheer me up for a moment. It took him forever to answer, but I did not give up, I heard it ring for a while I progressively admired my white walls. I even squinted my eyes as though it were my first time seeing them.

Though not too vast, my apartment was warm and comfortable. It had white walls, dark floors, a kitchen, a TV room and a bedroom which contained a washroom. Simple and peaceful.

In any case, this was better than the boarding houses of the university. I moved out in my third year of med school when I couldn't take it anymore; my roommate liked music and I hated it, so there was no way we could co-exist. I just had to move.

Thanks to my father, who never failed to send me rent money and for up keeps—I managed to make a living in this place.

"Bro," I heard Juan's voice, and I grabbed my SpongeBob SquarePants printed covers to prop myself up. I looked at the phone screen and smiled.

"What took you so long?" I asked, creasing my eyebrows.

He groaned and grabbed a pillow. I could recognize that pillow anywhere, it was dirty, and it was his.

He was home.

"Where's dad?" I asked. Now would be the perfect time to see and talk to my first love.

"About that," Juan muttered, narrowing his eyes as though to decide whether to say something or not.

I shrugged. "Well?"

"He's not around."

"Okay."

"So, I have both good and half good, half bad news," he let me know in his very dramatic way possible. Though his voice had gotten deeper, I could not help but see my young brother, who held on to my thumb whenever he was scared.

And no one messed with him, I was always there to beat their asses if they dared to bully my Juan. Sometimes, I wondered how he survived when I left for university. But he was already in high school then, I bet he was old enough to take care of himself.

"Spill."

"Remember Belle?" he asked, and I smiled because I damn right recalled Belle.

The girl next door.

When they moved in, Juan could not stop talking about how gorgeous she was, and from that day on, he would volunteer to water the flowers, just so he could see the girl.

It was ridiculous really, but who was I to judge? I had never experienced something they called love.

Perhaps not yet?

"What happened? Did she die?" I joked and got out of bed, making my way to the kitchen. Once I was there, I placed the phone on the island table and supported it with a bowl of plastic fruits. 

Juan waited for me to settle down and open the pack before he spoke. "Why would you think that, you jerk?"

I shrugged, throwing more chips in my mouth. I creased my eyebrows before searching for the expiration date. Why did they taste so weird?

"What is it?"

"Nothing, go on." Even I went on to eat the chips, if they would upset my stomach, then that was it. I had all the time in the world to shit.

"I asked her out, and she said yes."

"Oh, that's good news-" I licked my fingers. "Don't get her pregnant, I will murder you."

"Okay, okay. But we kissed."

"Gross. Move on to the bad news."

"I said it's half good, half bad."

"Bro, I don't have all day," I informed him, biting into an apple. Was I starving or mistook my stress for hunger? It happened every time.

"Okay, so dad—please don't be mad and don't tell him I'm the one who told you, I mean he just wanted to be the one who told you. I think he should tell you and I think I shouldn't, I mean it's his story to tell, so it's only right-"

"Yo!"

"What?"

"Did you get the part where I said did not have all day?" I glared at him.

"Fine, but promise me you won't ask him until he tells you."

"Spill."

"Promise!"

"I. Promise," I spoke through my teeth, and he knew to start talking right away.

"Please don't tell. So, he's been seeing this woman downtown, I think they like each other," he blurted out, rolling his eyes as though what he had just said did not cause an earthquake in my heart.

A heart quake.

"What?!"

"You promised not to get mad," Juan spoke, realizing that I got mad after all. Even after promising him. It was inevitable to get angry, how dare dad do this to us?

"I'm just…what's her name?"

"Lilly."

"Wow, and you're okay with this?" This was unbelievable.

"Dude, it's not like he said he will marry her…yet. Look, the point is dad is finally looking happy with this woman, and it doesn't matter what I think or whatever."

How wise?

"Oh," I grumbled. Well, it mattered what I thought.

"Andy, you promised."

"I'm sorry, lad." I cut the call and searched for my father's number.

We were overdue for a talk.

#