9. Teamwork.

My lips spread into a wide grin when I glanced at my lucky socks. They had SpongeBob SquarePants printed on them. I grew to believe that these socks had the power to make my days better, and I hoped for that effect today.

I smiled at Mr. Jones, the man at the entrance, before walking through the huge hospital doors, always kept open. I mean, they wouldn't risk losing the keys to a hospital, would they?

I made it to the medical department and said hi to Janice, the nurse, at the reception before going into Joy Paige's room.

Surprised to see two other people who I immediately recognized to be Chris and Kathy Marcus.

Since when did these two get along?

I creased my eyebrows before chucking my phone into the pocket of my white coat, it carried only my phone and my stethoscope.

I bet Kathy's carried her lipstick and powder, her face was always plastered with makeup. Always. Wherever she got the time to wear makeup and get to work in time was still a mystery and honestly, I would rather not solve it.

"Good morning," I greeted, only directed to Chris but of course, the devil had its ways to get under my skin.

"You're late," Kathy spoke, and it was then that I had the energy to glare at her. Sadly, she could not see it because she was busy scribbling something on the paper attached to the binder in her hand. Today, our Miss Pretty went for plain blue jeans and a yellow top. It was normal, but she always looked cool. Always looked fucking cool and it bothered me. Maybe that was why I hated her.

Her dark curly extensions pushed to the side to reveal her high cheekbones draped in makeup. She looked good and I hated her more.

"I'm sorry, is she my boss now?" I asked, pointing a finger at Kathy.

"I could be," she responded, and I was about to fire back with something much stronger when someone called my name.

Joy Paige was waking from her slumber. I plastered a smile on my face and stood on the side of her bed.

"Good morning, pretty, how are you feeling today?" I asked as gently as I could.

Joy Paige smiled and blinked before she looked at Chris and back at me. "I'm okay, I just feel tired all the time."

"I know that's your heart reminding us that we need to cure you soon." I smiled and turned to Chris.

He nodded, giving me a good job nod, which I embraced with a wide smile.

"Ladies, follow me." We did as told with no questions asked.

We walked in silence behind Chris while Kathy threw daggers at me and I threw back swords. Being this close to her for five minutes or more was one hell of a bad idea, but I couldn't just leave, besides I was here for Chris not her.

What was he up to anyway?

"Good morning once more," Chris greeted us when we made it to his office. It was gigantic, I mean it was normal, he was the Head Of The Department after all.

We returned the gesture and as expected, Kathy was as needy as ever. She replied and went on to blather how grateful she was to have the chance to work with Chris. It took so much of my energy not to roll my eyes.

Chris being Chris and surely understanding, he only nodded and went on to address the issue at hand. "Marshall, I believe you have some news for me."

I nodded. "Yes, I have everything I need to treat Joy Paige except the heart. I looked at the files you sent, and her heart is pretty useless at this point. Every valve and tissue is not in good condition. The only way is to find another heart, and we can send her off to surgery."

"Good job. Well, you did your assignment, and I am proud of you. Today we are having a meeting. I need you guys to come up with valid reasons why the hospital must pay for Joy Paige, as we know her parents can't afford a surgery as expensive as a heart transplant."

That, I understood.

"I will work on it," I said, confidently.

"Oh, it's we…you will both draft those up for me."

I scoffed. "Me and who?"

"Kathy Marcus," Chris broke the news,, and it was like a blow to my own heart.

"Why!" I cried out. "Chris, you know how I feel about her, why her? I could surely be partnered with someone else, take Gavin, I can work with Gavin."

"You do realize I am right here, right?" Kathy butted in. Did she think I forgot?

"Stay out of this and for the record, I don't care."

"Marshall, relax, this is a hospital, not a high school, so you girls will need to work together. Just for this case. When Joy is fine, you're both good to rip each other's eyeballs out. Andrea, I know you two don't get along, but there's something that you both have, and I would love it if you shared it. You both are intelligent, but it means nothing if you can't work with others. Teamwork is everything and remember we are doing this for our patients"

Seriously.

Fucking seriously.

"Am I clear?" Chris asked and eyed us, but none of us spoke. Not even the talkative bitch next to me. "Ladies?"

"Yes," we answered in unison.

"Good, your time starts now."

#