16. Joy Paige.

With a headache, a thousand times worse than anything I experienced before, I made it inside the hospital.

I should've stopped myself, but Kathy dared me. She challenged me, so I was only proving a point—in my fucking defense.

I massaged my temples, looking forward to seeing how Kathy was holding up. We would probably laugh about it when we remember what happened last night.

We had fun, and she just decided to ruin the last minute.

She was a bitch alright, and she knew it.

Suddenly, the need to see her vanished and instead of going to the common room where everyone was at this hour, I went straight to see Joy Paige. She'd probably cheer me up with her jokes about animals and get my mind off the hangover.

I waved at Janice and made it into joy in Paige's hospital room. The first person I saw was Chris, I could recognize his dark hair even from the back.

I walked further into the room, it was empty; the bed was neatly made, and I smiled. She would be here soon and happy to find her bed like this.

"Chris, hey." I stood next to him and stared at the empty bed.

"Marshall," he breathed out, biting into his knuckles. I wondered if he was alright. I did not say anything for a moment, only stared back at the bed. It was strange how empty the room was. No stickers, no nothing—only a small locker next to the bed. I felt annoyed. Joy liked stickers. We were supposed to put 'welcome back' stickers.

Chris though, seemed out of this room. He wouldn't stop biting into his knuckles. Frustrated or something.

"You shouldn't be in such a sour mood you know, Joy won't like it if she saw you like that," I warned him.

He did not flinch. I shook my head, sighing. If he needed a moment, I would give him a moment. So, I turned to leave when he grabbed my hand.

Seriously.

I have never taken Chris to be this dramatically, but whatever. I stopped and faced him. He unexpectedly pulled me into a hug and though confused, I wrapped my hands around him.

"Are you okay? Is Kelly alright?" First time bringing her up in a while.

"It's Joy Paige. She didn't make it through the night," he whispered, and I bet he felt that my body was falling on its own, so he held me tightly. "It hurts me too. I need you to go home and just…"

He couldn't even finish that statement because I broke into uncontrollable sobs. I grabbed him like he was the one who caused it, but he did not let me go. He held me close for another moment, rubbing my back gently.

"It hurts, I know, but her parents need you to strengthen them. It's going to be hard because you worked so hard for Joy, and I feel your pain. Take some time to yourself, alright. When you're ready, talk to her mother, she needs you."

I nodded and pulled away, he looked at me, wiping my tears before I stormed off. I made it to the changing room and sank to the floor. My heart thudded and twisted inside of me, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Joy Paige betrayed me. I asked her to fight for her life, but she gave up.

It was wrong to blame a kid, she was tired. She couldn't keep fighting.

"Fucckk!"

#

"Hey," I heard a distinct voice, it wasn't as though I had slept or anything. I had just shut out the world for a couple of hours, I even lost track of time. The floor was cold, but I didn't want to get up. This was my punishment, I should've been here with Joy, but I went out to drink.

It was my fault. She needed me in her darkest moments. I should have been there for her.

"Hey," I recognized Kathy's voice and my stomach swiveled.

"Go away," I mumbled, my voice low and hoarse.

Going against my request, Kathy settled on the floor next to me, her body providing some warmth. Exactly what I did not need. I was undergoing my punishment.

"It's not your fault," she whispered.

"H-how can you say that?"

"You're a doctor, Marshall, I know how special Joy was to you, but there's going to be more, and you can't afford to blame yourself for every one you lose."

"Did Chris put you to this?"

"No, no he didn't. I wanted to tell you this and...apologize for last night."

Suddenly, the events of last night flocked my brain and my sadness turned into anger right away.

"You said you have a boyfriend."

"Yes, I do."

"Why did you kiss me?"

"I was…I just wanted to know how it feels to kiss a-"

"So I was just an experiment. Your experiment, is that it? Do I look like a fucking doll to you, Kathy? You asked to be my friend. I open up to you, and the first thing you do is be a bitch?"

"Hey-"

"Don't fucking touch me!" I yelled and expected her to do as I asked, but she didn't. Instead, she grabbed my shoulder and pulled me to her, so she was caressing me.

Both surprised and thankful for her action, I let myself break all over again in her arms.

"I'm your friend now, and friends don't just leave each other. I'm sorry, and stop blaming yourself for Joy." She rubbed my back before whispering, "I'm here, I'm not leaving."

#

Well😥
The world is coming to an end. Kathy is being too nice.