11. Netflix and Pizza.

"Sadly, you did both good and bad," I mumbled as I threw my keys on the side table and slipped out of my sneakers.

I took the socks off and stared at SpongeBob's smiley face. I wished I could be that happy, just happy with big gorgeous eyes.

Growing up, our mother used to leave this cartoon for Juan and I to watch while she went to work. We were not so much of trouble markers then, we'd only get cozy and laugh at SpongeBob's and Patrick's hilarious moments.

That was how we both grew to like this funny guy. I had to express my gratitude to the creator of that animation, over the years it made me smile so much and like today, my socks did me a huge favor. At least the board did not decline the offer, it was really a thin line, that hospital liked money more than people's lives. They could have said no, and I couldn't help but wonder what exactly Chris said to them.

Did he even use the list we made, or did he just want to get under my skin by making me spend an awful day with Kathy Marcus?

With this newly realized knowledge, I grabbed my phone from my coat and dialed Chris' number. It rang for a moment before he finally picked up.

"Marshall, I'm on the road, everything okay?" he asked, and by the honking, in the background, I could tell he was driving.

"Nothing, I just want to find out if you used the list we made."

He was quiet for a moment, if not for the background noises I would have thought he cut the line.

"Chris?"

"Yes, I used the list," he spoke.

Got you!

"You are lying," I spoke through gritted teeth. It was a blue lie in the evening, how dare he? He forced me to spend time with Kathy, and for what?

"Okay, fine, you caught me."

"Yes, I did. Why did you do it?"

"Listen, Marshall, I know you dislike Kathy but trust me she has something, it's spectacular how creative she is, and I think you guys can make a good team. Besides, you're all too grown for all this bickering, I think if you work together you will perform wonders."

Seriously.

"Am I not enough, Chris?" I questioned, not even sure which part of my brain generated a question that absurd. It sounded so wrong, but he would surely understand, would he not? It felt like he was adopting another child, and he wanted me to bond with her which was weird and impossible because hell I would never bond with Kathy, skill or not.

"Andrea, don't look at it like that. I have helped you in more ways than you can imagine, you have something you can share with her too. Don't be selfish, I taught you better than that," he spoke as calmly as he could.

He had a point, I would eventually try to get along with Kathy, but it would take one hell of a decade. And by the way, what was this something he kept mentioning?

"I understand."

"No, don't give me that vibe, Marshall, you know I'm right."

Of course, he was right, I could not even give him that satisfaction. I rolled my eyes and would have admitted to his point, but someone knocked.

I did not even order anything, who would show up this late?

"There's someone at the door, hold on," I spoke into the phone and with bare feet, I walked over to the door.

Chris kept on blabbering something about how bad the traffic was and how Kelly would be waiting for him because he promised to take her to dinner and stuff. He wouldn't stop talking, so, I held the phone to my ear as I opened the door.

At that moment, I could not even find the courage to close my eyes.

Kelly on the other side of the door didn't say anything, she only lifted the box of pizza and waited for my response.

My heart thudded, and I realized just how serious this was. What was she doing here? And by the way, I was talking to her husband on the phone. The irony.

"Marshall, I'm going to have to call you later, alright," Chris spoke, saving me the trouble of saying anything more.

I nodded as though he could see me, my eyes not leaving Kelly's brown ones. The line died, and I pulled the phone from my ear.

"Kelly?"

Would she ever stop?

"Before you say anything, I was in the neighborhood and I just thought I could get us pizza." She shrugged as though this were the most natural thing on earth ever. She was in the neighborhood? Hell, she was always in the neighborhood, what did this woman want from me?

"I don't know," I muttered, progressively attempting to steady my heart rate.

I bet my blood pressure spiked to hypertension.

"Hey, it's just Netflix and Pizza. Nothing extreme." She eyed me with the determination of a racer who was hell-bent on winning.

"Kelly, isn't this weird to you?"

"Not at all. You, acting like that, is making this weird. I think you should just forget everything and let us be friends again."

Did she say 'forget'?

Was she nuts? How could I forget?

How was I supposed to forget?

#