2. Chocolate with misery.

"Marshall, over here!" I heard Chris' voice from across the busy open hallway.

Even after seven solid days of faking some illness, facing him made my tummy turn with nothing but nervousness.

My heart bounced in my chest, but I did not sweat.

With another forced grin, I compelled my shaky legs to approach him.

Monday's weren't my best days, like most, but Chris embraced them like no other. He would wear a bright smile and always be in the mood to work.

Currently, blue scrubs clung to his well-built body and I thought it was too early for them, but who cares, he looked fucking good. The top tucked inside his bottoms with the usual pure white converses, and must I say he looked like a model off a vogue weekly magazine? 

Not that I was hungering on him too. No. That would make me an absolute demon.

"Chris," I greeted, catching my breath at the same instant.

Unlike him, I was still in my blue faded jeans and a plain dark shirt with black sneakers. My everyday swag.

"Feeling any better? Sorry, I couldn't swing by to see you, the hospital has been busy lately," he rumbled without a pause to catch his breath. I smiled and patted my lips to say something like, "oh, don't worry 'bout it." But he shut me off when he continued, "There is a patient I want you to meet. She was here last year, and she is back."

I nodded, following him to the main ward. I missed this place, but it felt like I was running out of air. The closer I was to Chris, the worse it got.

It's called guilt. I would remind myself whenever I felt far too confident to forget. I was guilty of a deadly crime and so help me, Jesus, it was already eating me slowly.

For seven days, I refrained from speaking to anyone, not even my brother, not even my father, hell not even Kelly.

However, Kelly being Kelly, she would reach out, and leave me voice messages, but I refused to play them. I hated how her voice played tricks on me, she could make me feel better about all the bad things I did.

On Tuesday, she came to my apartment, and my childish side took over, I refused to let her in. I watched her walk away. Of course, she brought me flowers, and chocolate—as though it were meant to fix what I had done. What we had done.

But I still hummed to myself while I ate that chocolate with misery and not love, as she stated in her note.

Kelly was one hell of a romantic person, and I wondered if she did this for Chris too. He deserved this kind of treatment, not me.

"This is Joy Paige, thirteen, who has progressive cardiomyopathy. She was here last year, and we thought we had treated the problem, but it's back and," he paused to smile at the little girl looking back at us with big blue eyes. "She's your case."

I gulped but did not want to show just how bad I was screaming inside right now.

In my seven months of being an intern at St. Mary's international hospital, I had never taken up a case this big. Sure, I read about cardiomyopathy and how to treat it, but never actually applied my theoretical knowledge to a real person. It was far too unnerving than I imagined.

"Hi, Joy, my name is Andrea Marshall," I introduced myself with a wide smile on my face. I learned from the best that no matter how frightened you're your patient doesn't need to know that. How else will they believe in you to treat them?

"Hi." Joy waved her tiny hand at me and tucked some blonde locks behind her ear.

"I will see you in a bit," I whispered with a smile before grabbing her file and following Chris outside. "Chris, what the hell?" I muttered just so the nurse at the reception could not hear me.

Chris did not stop taking long strides. He turned to me, his hands in his pockets, looking extremely cool for the moment.

"Marshall, how long have you been here?"

I did not need a calculator for that. "Seven months," I respond, walking even faster to catch up with him.

"Good, don't you think you're ready to take up bigger cases?"

"I-I don't know."

"I know. In twelve months, you will be applying for your residency. I have been your mentor and I think you're ready, so stop being a baby and read about everything you need to know."

Yeah, he was starting to sound more like his wife, but I was grateful for the compliment.

He thought I was ready, and I would take this opportunity to impress my mentor. By far, he was the most reputable medical doctor slash surgeon. And like I said earlier, I learned from the best, so I would not disappoint him.

I sucked in a breath. "Fine."

"See you later. I will grab a coffee for you." He made a turn at a corner and I stood there watching him like it was my first time seeing a man.

Dark hair, dark eyes, a neat beard, and one hell of a genius. Who wouldn't want to be a wife to such a great man? Lucky for him, I did not swing that way.

And he would be surprised to see that I swung his wife's way, instead.

#