13. Dilemma.

"You know, I hate that we have to meet after every second in this same place, and the fact that I can't do anything about it is annoying." Kathy Marcus faked a smile to reveal her perfect white teeth. Showcasing a perfect dental formula.

I had my perfect one too.

"Seriously, do you think this amuses me? Get over yourself, bro," I spat back but did not move or go anywhere even when my body begged me to move away from her.

She exhaled, just equally frustrated. I moved past her, making sure to brush against her shoulder aggressively. Kathy Marcus and I were almost the same height and also total opposites, maybe that was why we wouldn't stop wrangling about just anything. The fact that we breathed the same air day and night was infuriating.

"Found anything?" she mumbled, taking the seat on the far end of the large table. It was weird how we were the only people who used this common room a lot. Were all the intern's busy, or they did not know how to sit and rest?

I shook my head and held it in my hands. This was stressful, it was barely nine in the morning and all my energy had already been depleted. On the brighter side, I had not wasted it on bickering with Kathy Marcus or worrying about Kelly and me. Not even feeling guilty about anything. I had put my mind, sweat, body, and soul into searching for a fast donor. It was Joy Paige's heart we had both been looking for.

Yesterday, Chris informed us that the board had approved, and it was up to us to find the fastest donor, so we could go ahead and replace Joy's heart. It was no secret that her heart was slowly failing with each second.

And that was why we had worked tirelessly—making calls to the hospitals around town to see if they had any patients dying and ready to donate their hearts to a kid. It might have sounded harsh but, of course, we used a more polite approach.

But there was no luck, some said they had even younger kids who needed the same heart; I did empathize, but I just couldn't let my first special patient die because I just gave up.

"No luck," I mumbled, resting my forehead on the cold table. I had developed a throbbing headache, and I was sure it was partly because of the stress and partly the wine.

But I couldn't stop. I had to do my job and save a life.

"Same," Kathy mumbled, surprisingly in a low tone.

I looked up to meet her dark eyes, and she gave me a sad smile. Was she even sad? Or was she faking all this? Now was not the time to play games, so I got up from my chair.

"I will go and check up on Joy Paige," I said and left the room, refusing to dwell longer in her toxicity. I would not take any of her bullshit, I was already stressed as it was.

I made it past the nurse's bay and found Joy Paige, her mother, sitting on the other side of the bed. Her hand held Joy's right hand, she was probably saying a silent prayer for her daughter.

I wish I could do the same, it was only weird because after spending more time in med school, I started believing in science and medicine than miracles. But I wasn't judging, if anything I would have asked her to say a prayer for me too.

She looked up when I entered the room. "Doctor Marshall," she breathed, a tear rolling down her cheeks.

Good lord, I had no words for this woman. I needed comforting of my own, and I did not know where to start.

"Ms. Paige." I stood on her side and placed my hand on her shoulder. Whatever the fuck I was doing. "Did Dr. Chris tell you?"

"Yes, but have you found the heart yet?"

Ugh, here came the hard part. I was thrown into a dilemma right away. If I told her the truth it wouldn't help much, seeing her situation. She'd lose hope. I required her to keep fighting.

Lying to her went against my code of conduct. Why would I give her false hope by saying we found the heart?

It felt like hours had passed without my response, and she still looked at me expectantly. Sometimes, the universe was a cruel bitch. How was I supposed to tell a mother that her nine-year-old kid might die because we were not lucky enough to find her a heart in time?

It was during moments like these that I hated the fact that I chose to be a doctor. I could have picked something like being a Finance Manager, it was easier. Just making sure people's money did not get in the wrong hands, and whatever they did. It was so much simpler than breaking the sad news.

I opened my mouth to utter something. Whatever I would say would either be a lie or far too long only to stall her. There was no direct way to say it.

Then Kathy fucking Marcus walked in. She held my phone in her hands and her eyes immediately settled on me.

Why the fuck did she have my phone?

#