𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍*

~͓̽~͓̽~

~͓̽~͓̽~

57 | ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏɴɢ ɴɪɢʜᴛ

𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐄𝐘𝐀
KING'S LANDING

      "𝐌𝐘 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐄𝐍, 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐍𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄." Brienne's breath fogged as she stared at Malaeya's head. "It's not safe here. You should have gone on the ship with the princes and Rhaella."

      Malaeya held her arms close, glancing at the near empty city from the highest tower in the Keep. "I can't." She shivered. "Even if I was willing to abandon my people, I have to be here. Fate has decreed it so."

      Brienne hesitated. "I don't understand."

      Malaeya sighed, still watching the abandoned city as soldiers lined Dragonglass along the parapets and inside the trenches. Unsullied marched about, and dragons screeched from the cold. "Have you ever heard of Azor Ahai?"

      The Crownsguard tilted her head. "Only in midwife tales."

     "Well," Malaeya held up her hand, bringing the golden flames to her fingers. "I'm one third of him reborn. Jon and Dany are the other. Even if no one else is here, we have to be. Or we all lose."

      Below, she saw Robb glancing up at her from the bailey, his blue eyes seeming silver in the moonlight. He waved, and she waved back. 

      She should have been inside with Jon and Daenerys, coming up with some type of plan, but she needed a moment to breathe. Though Brienne had refused to leave her alone for even a second. Just as Theon stood beside his King, hand on his sword, and the other gripping a bow.

      "What will you do?"

      Malaeya laughed bitterly, looking up at the dark sky. She had no idea what time it was. But she missed the sun. "I have absolutely no idea, but I know that it is us who must do it."

      Brienne gulped. "And if you die?"

      The Queen froze, thinking about her children across the sea. "Then I'll take those dead sons of bitches with me." She wouldn't even entertain a different ending. If she died, they died with her. 

      Malaeya's cloak brushed snow as she turned and walked away, not missing the sound of the woman's armored footsteps following behind her. "Bring more Dragonglass arrows from the courtyard," she instructed a soldier in passing. "The parapets need to be stocked for archers."

      The soldier nodded. "Yes, Your Grace." He scurried away past her as she walked.  

      Robb met her in the courtyard, immediatley bringing her into his side. "Jon and Dany are inside with Sam."

      She hummed. "Looking and failing no doubt for information on a way to kill the Night King."

      Her own sword was cold on her hip. If all else failed, she'd try to behead him with it. Afterall, Jon had killed a Walker with Longclaw - a Valyrian Steel sword. Sam had killed another with a shard of Dragonglass. Jon had killed a Wight with fire. Valyrian steel, Dragonglass, and fire. They had those things.