𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

~͓̽~͓̽~

~͓̽~͓̽~

18 | ᴇᴍᴏᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ

𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐄𝐘𝐀
ALONG A NARROW GOAT PATH, AROUND THE GOLD TOOTH

      "𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐌𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐑𝐇𝐀𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍." Her father's words kept replaying, over and over again in her head. 

      "Are you lying to me?" she asked him after a moment.  They'd began whispering to each other in Valyrian. Jaime insisted that it was safer for such a topic. 

      He cried silently. "Daor pirtra," he told her. "The only lie I've ever told you was about your mother; I swear it."

      She blacked out for a moment, unable to process his statement. It didn't make sense. 

      Her mother was Giyanna Flowers, a beautiful maid from The Reach who he'd met at a tourney. She was a sweet ginger with kind eyes that no one could resist. She'd given up everything for love, for Malaeya and Jaime. 

      She was a hero in Malaeya's eyes. A role model. Malaeya had shaped her entire life, dreams, and aspirations around the woman. And now, her father was telling her that she wasn't even her mother. That she wasn't even real.

      That her mother had been a Targaryen. The Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. That she'd had an entire family she never knew about, an entire family that she might have known if her grandfather hadn't slaughtered them. 

     It took her a moment to realize, that she'd had siblings. Three of them. Rhaegar, Viserys, and Daenerys. She wasn't a stupid girl, so she was quick to do the math. Rhaelle Targaryen had been born the same year as her and had died on the night of the sack. Rhaelle was her.

      She was Rhaegar's younger sister, so she'd had nephews and nieces as well. But what she couldn't understand was how.

      "How?" she asked him. "Rhaella had already been queen for years before I was born. She was married to Aerys." Her stepfather apparently, and her maternal uncle.

      She could tell in the moment that Jaime was having trouble speaking on the matter. But frankly, she didn't care. "How?"

      Jaime sighed. "We met when I was knighted. I was alone in a foreign place, and she was alone in a cold marriage. It just happened. We don't choose whom we love."

      For a split second, Malaeya felt a deeper meaning behind his words. And she saw a deeper emotion behind his eyes.

      They were in Daor pirtra. Anything she asked him, he'd answer truthfully. She didn't know if she wanted to ask the first question that came to mind at his poetic statement. So, she asked the next.