𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

~͓̽~͓̽~

~͓̽~͓̽~

34 | ᴍᴀʟᴀᴇʏᴀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅʀᴀɢᴏɴ

𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐀𝐄𝐘𝐀

      "𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐁𝐄 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐋𝐃 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐑𝐈𝐀, 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐘𝐑𝐈𝐀𝐍 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐃." Malaeya trailed down an inked page with her finger. 

      "All the way across the Narrow Sea, on the continent of Essos, they were said to be descendants of Shepherds with mythic blood, who stumbled upon The Fourteen Flames, and found dragons living in their crevices. The Shepherds used the power in their blood to bind the creatures to them through spells and magic. This is where the term 'Blood of the Dragon' derives from." 

      She turned the page. "They made saddles and breastplates for their beasts, and mounted them, commanding them with horns and words. With the great beasts under their will, they brought the majority of the Eastern continent to heel, defeating the Ghiscari, the Rhoynar, and the Andals. Thus emerged The Valyrian Freehold, what became and remains the greatest civilization ever built."

       "There was no heraldry used in Valyria, and the Targaryens as we once knew them were not as mighty. They were near commoners amongst the other Valyrian dragon riders."

      "But that all changed when Daenys the Dreamer, the great grandmother three times removed of Aegon the Conqueror and his sister wives, had a vision of The Doom - a natural disaster of The Fourteen Flames which destroyed the Freehold, majority of dragons, and all of the recorded magic."

      "Together, the Targaryen family, along with the Velayrons, fled the great capitol on their ships and dragons, and settled across the Narrow Sea, upon the islands of Dragonstone and Driftmark."

        "There they ruled the islands for a century, until Aegon and his sister wives - Rhaenys and Visenya - invaded the mainland of Westeros atop their dragons, Balerion the Black Dread, Meraxes, and Vhaegar, conquering the continent and forging the Iron Throne of the Six Kingdoms. Dorne would not become a country under the Iron Throne until the year 187 AC, when Daenerys Targaryen married Maron Martell."

      "What complicated ancestors you have."

      Malaeya glanced up at her husband. They had been married for a month, and yet it still seemed surreal to her. "And you don't?" she asked him, watching from her place in their bed as he dressed. 

      Robb shook his head, struggling to fasten the strings on his tunic. "Not nearly as much as you." His tongue poked from the corner of his lips, and he furrowed his eyebrows as he stared at the strings. "My ancestors were First Men who settled in Winterfell and stayed there for millenniums. Simple as that. The most interesting we've ever been is what's happening now."