Episode 62: Martial Battle

Start from the beginning

"Oh, maybe! Mom used to say the same thing!" He frowned. "Mom..."

I closed my eyes as I recalled my parents as well. "I know how you feel, Carter."

"Sis!" a voice yelled. I turned to the right and saw a cloud of dust heading straight toward us.

I raised a hand in front of me. "Folium Murus!" Leaves flew into the air and formed a shield against the dust. "Eli, slow down! You're making a duststorm!"

He stopped. "Sorry! It's just that Wudi, Lan, and I were so happy to see you."

I gasped as Lan jumped out of his hoodie and into my lap. I looked down and noticed my dog was covered in dirt. She stuck out her tongue and barked happily.

"Aww, Wudi. I'm glad you're happy to see me, but you got yourself all dirty."

She barked and wagged her tail, getting rid of some of the dirt.

"Doggy!" Carter yelled, jumping and hugging her. He stroked her fur, dusting off parts of it.

"Hey!" I yelled.

Wudi licked him.

Carter laughed. "Seems she likes me!"

I sighed and smiled. Seems that Wudi has warmed up to being around people. Leaving Celeste to care for her was probably the right call.

"She's like a fluffier Lup!" Au said, grinning.

"You also own a dog?" Carter asked, glancing back at him.

He shook his head. "A wolf. It's my dad's loyal steed."

"Steed? He rides it?"

"Of course! He's a huge wolf!" Aurelius said, stretching his arms as far out as he could. "As big as a war horse!"

"H-how did he become that big? Or are wolves built differently in Vandavale?"

Au put his hands on his hips and grinned. "Dad fed him food enveloped with prana since he was a cub. That caused him to grow huge and powerful."

"His prana, I assume?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Why?" Nat asked.

"We use our prana as it ensures an animal stays faithful once it grows up. Otherwise, it might become unruly as an adult."

"Wonder if I should eat prana to become bigger and stronger too," Cart mumbled.

I laughed. "That's what cultivation pills are for."

He frowned. "But I can't take those..."

"You can't?" Aurelius asked.

Carter shook his head. "Doctor Xi told my parents that it would make me very sick."

Sick? Is that how his parents worded it for him to understand as a child? The illnesses of a badly absorbed cultivation pill weren't always as 'kind' as typical sicknesses. Often, they were far more agonizing. Not to mention more lethal.

Aurelius sighed. "Bummer. But that does explain why your Magicum Organum hasn't been regulated."

"I know," Carter said, snuggling Wudi.

Wudi licked him.

He smiled and stroked her head. "Aww, thanks, doggy!"

"Doggies make everything better, huh?" Eli asked, grinning.

Carter nodded.

Maybe it was a good thing that he brought her along. Although, the topic of animal cultivation wouldn't have been discussed if not for Wudi.