25. I want to resign

*****

*****

One thing about illegal businesses was that the chain never ends. Taking down one chain does nothing to the whole web, instead, a new one sprouts just as fast as the one that was taken down.

"Bizi alt edebileceğini mi sanıyorsun?"

(You think you can take us down?)

The man coughed up blood as he spoke. Marwan's expressions could have drilled holes in his skull as though the bloodied bruise next to his left eyes was non-existent.

Squatting down to meet the man's gaze, his lips pulled into a smirk and he watched in satisfaction when the man flinched, wincing due to the amount of broken bones he was carrying the load of at the moment.

"Seni çoktan alt ettim, aptal."

(I have already taken you down, idiot.)

Yes, the man had taken the most of his precious time and finally learnt the basics of Turkish. Even though at first the words and spellings felt alien to his mind, Marwan had anyhow soared through the temporary dyslexia and aced the language tests that Daiyan had mercilessly sent his way.

Gripping the bruised jaw in between his fingers, Marwan applied a bruising force making the man cry out in pain and spit out more blood.

"Kim o?"

(Who is he?)

The man rapidly shook his head, tears of agony streamed down his face as he tried to speak through the pain.

"Bilmiyorum! Allah'a yemin ederim ki, bilmiyorum!"

(I don't know! I swear on my God, I don't know!)

"O zaman bir işe yaramazsın, değil mi?"

(Then you are of no use, are you?)

Marwan tsked in disappointment and released the man from his grip. Standing up, he dusted his commando jeans and tilted his head to take a look at the base that was now nothing but remnants of what it once was. Broken glasses, blood on the ground, unconscious and some men that were crying in pain. The lights were broken too and the furniture, oh the furniture was left in pieces.

His eyes looked at the wires that were lying uncovered on the ground and he could feel the electrical sparks running through the copper strands.

The man slowly followed Marwan's line of sight and a fear like none other enveloped his form. He tried to crawl away with a face as pale as that of snow and the sounds of his movements made Marwan look back at him.

Understanding dawned on him and slowly, a devious mirth gleamed in his eyes. Ignoring the man whose breaths were now coming in fearful pants, he took hold of the part of the wire that was covered with PVC and raised it in the air for a second. And just as he took a step towards it, a loud cry made him stop in his tracks.