17. The warm browns

*****

*****

Marwan was quick to get in touch with major Mathur. The urgency in his tone had said enough for the senior to arrive the very next day in Bandra. Daiyan had been discharged but decided to stay back at the hospital since Parizad was yet to get a clean chit and hence, the case now rested in the others' hands.

"Lekin yeh ho nahi sakta, Marwan. This man..."

Mathur pointed at Kabir's laptop screen, a look of conflict passed through his age-old eyes as he tried to make sense of all the things.

"This man is yet to be released. He was convicted for hit and run, sexual assault and attempt to murder of his own wife. He's been in prison for almost 4 years now..."

He paused, a look of recognition struck him hard and he groaned in frustration. Everyone else just stared at him with an expression of their own. Major Mathur took a deep breath, a hmm was what he said next before laughter bubbled out of his throat.

Marwan and Aliya shared a look. The two suddenly concerned about the well-being of their senior while Ziah, Laiha and Kabir remained clueless and felt a little out of place with all the criminal talk going on.

"God, that was a clean work, wasn't it?"

Mathur whispered to himself as he chuckled again. But the thing about his laughs was that they were anything but humorous.

"Sir, you alright?"

Marwan's hesitant whisper made Mathur give him a glare, straightening the former's almost immediately. Mathur fixed the stiff collar of his navy blue t-shirt and rubbed his temple lightly.

"I'll be perfectly fine when people with money stop messing with the judiciary system."

"Matlab kabhi nahi."

Marwan snickered at his own words. Aliya who stood by his side jabbed him in the stomach by her elbow, a look of pure frustration was what Marwan gave her in return to which, she just glared and mouthed 'behave'.

"I remember clearly reading about another session of his hearing. Somewhat a week from now maybe. Sounds like in exchange to his job being almost successful, the person offered him an early release from the prison."

Mathur ran a hand across his stubble. His eyes seemed deep in thought as he replayed what all Marwan had told him. The accident surely was planned if the police was not able to even identify the driver for a hefty fine, licence cancellation and jail for a month or more.