08. Bomb nahi hai

*****

*****

Marwan hissed lightly as he rubbed the bruise around his neck. The angry purple and dark marks were finally visible as he looked back at his reflection. His mind recalled the conversation he had with his father and even though he felt a tiny amount of guilt creeping into his heart due to the harsh words he used for Waheed Qureshi, a small part of him clearly agreed that he deserved it.

"Baba, ap aisi harkatein toh na kara kare."

Waheed looked up from his laptop and the frown on his forehead deepened as he registered the mock tone of his son. Marwan stood by the table, arms crossed across his chest and a sarcastic smile on his lips.

"Matlab kya hai tumhara?"

Marwan shook his head lightly, as if utterly bored with a common occurrence.

"Baba, where's the card?"

"Yeh-"

Waheed paused in mid-sentence, a look of recognition crossing his eyes. Leaning back against the flush sofa, his expressions relaxed considerably as he shrugged lightly at his son's question.

"Jaha hona chahiye tha. You don't have to attend functions of such petty people."

The distaste in his tone for 'the so-called petty people' had Marwan reigning in his temper and annoyance. He was a man of playful nature but invents like these tested his patience like no other.

"Dost hai woh meri. Aapko koi haq-"

"I am not in the mood for your tantrums, Marwan. Leave me alone."

Waheed tried dismissing his son but the stubbornness had passed with flying colours from his genes' to his son's.

"Baba, you need to stop looking at people as if they belong under your feet."

Marwan's voice raised by octaves and the anger on his father's face clearly didn't go unnoticed. Waheed Qureshi tried to calm his anger in order to not make any rash decisions but his son was making it more difficult than necessary.

"Not all of them."

"Problem kya hai aapki?"

Waheed rubbed his temple and got up from his position. A look of defiance flashed through Marwan's eyes as he stood his ground and watched his father glaring right at him.

"Problem yeh hai ki you need to grow up. The ones below you in society will use you as a ladder to climb great heights while you just stand on the ground with nothing but defeat. Aise logo ko 'dost' bolna band karo."

Marwan's eyes reflected the clear disbelief as he heard his father speak. Gritting his teeth in utmost restraint, he took deep breaths before questioning in the most collected tone that he could muster.