19. Dear fiancé

*****

*****

The memories of the day felt fresh on her skin and in her mind. Ziah had woken up to a nightmare, sweating profusely with heavy breaths. The night was still young but she feared closing her eyes. The unconsciousness that she had welcomed back then made her now self vulnerable and alarmed.

More than a month had passed and not once did she have trouble with these thoughts, maybe because the people around her made her suppress the majority of those memories unlike yesterday, when randomly the topic had been brought up.

Her heart ached slightly to see the familiar walls of the haveli that she had grown up in. The sweet laughs that she had shared with her parents even if it was just for a while. A small smile tugged at her lips as she remembered Malak, the young girl whom she had forgotten about during the whole ordeal.

Almost instantly, a frown stretched between her brows. Malak had seen enough at such a young age and the thoughts of how she'd be doing without her sent the slightest bit of panic through Ziah's mind.

Hugging herself tight, she looked towards the window in her room that was covered by cocoa mist coloured blinds with small floral patterns spread across its smooth surface. Contemplating her thoughts for a few minutes, she decided to walk out of the room for a little while, just to get some air.

Taking hold of her shawl that lay beside her on the bed, she draped it over herself, as though trying to hide. With hesitant steps and shivering hands, Ziah walked out of the room after closing it with a soft thud.

The house was eerie silent, something she did expect but in the chill of the night and the darkness around, it did send her mind into a frenzy short lived.

Taking deep breaths, she got down the stairs. The house was too big for its own good and Ziah couldn't help but scowl at the useless space that seemed like the party ground for the ghosts that were created by her mind.

"Why are you being as quiet as a mouse?"

Ziah shrieked in terror. Her leg slipped by the last stair that she was about to walk down and her body embraced itself for the not-so brutal fall. Closing her eyes, she waited for herself to kiss the ground but it looked like the place lacked gravity because even after a few seconds, she could feel nothing but air caressing her body.

And maybe an unidentified touch on her arm.

Scowling at the awful sensation that felt like leaves rustling against the wind, creating an invisible magnetic force sending zaps around, she opened her eyes to meet the horror filled umber brown ones.

Her scowl instantly turned to surprise and as she was about to reprimand him for sneaking up on her, the man beat her with his words.

"Dhyan kaha rehta hai tumhara?"