16. Enemy of her sanity

*****

*****

Ziah sat nibbling on her bottom lips as Kabir kept typing furiously on his laptop. After the sketch was done, Kabir decided to look into the released criminal records and find any connections of the said person.

"Mind asking me this but when can I get out of the hospital? The strong chlorine smell is taking a toll on my sane mind."

Aliya whined from beside her husband and was met with an eye roll from Daiyan who casually gulped down the glass of cold water to quench his thirst.

"I should be the one saying that. But on a serious note-"

A knock on the door was what they heard before Laiha walked in with a toothy grin on her face. The merry look on her face was brighter than what Ziah had ever seen as she gave a curious look to the woman.

"Daiyan miya, your wife is up and is lovingly asking for your wellbeing. Mind sparing a little bit time-"

Laiha didn't have to say anything further as a wide eyed Daiyan quickly removed the glucose needle from his hand and raced out of the room in the hospital uniform. The sight of him running as though he were set on fire made everyone in the room laugh since the newfound happy gleam in his eyes was hard to miss and so was the raging worry that he had been trying to suppress since he had woken up.

"Whipped."

Aliya muttered under her breath and as she looked up, she found Kabir giving her an incredulous look with his glasses perched on his nose and his eyes staring at her with a look that said enough for her to blush shades of beautiful dawn.

"Enough people. There is no need for you to remind me of my boring romance-less life."

Laiha gagged out the words and Kabir and Aliya visibly blushed at being caught in their not-so subtle ways of flirting through the eyes. Ziah giggled at their expressions and watched as Kabir cleared his throat and focused on the task at hand.

Marwan was yet to return as only a few minutes had passed since Aliya had given him a call.

"Ziah, come have a walk with me."

Laiha stretched her limbs as she proposed the offer. The warmth in her expression and the casualty in her words made Ziah nod her head without a thought. She too was getting bored by just staring at the blank walls for what felt like ages.

"Bring a cup of coffee for me when you return!"

The two heard Aliya's plea as Laiha closed the door. Chuckling among themselves, the two took their steps outside the hospital and into the small lawn at the back of the boring building. Herbal plants, especially neem, aloe vera, turmeric and holy basil were spread across the area along with a few marigolds, roses and hibiscus.