06. You're safe

*****

*****

Ziah rolled on the bed for what felt like hours. Due to taking a nap
again after a memorable lunch, her sleeping mechanism was ruined for the day to say the least. Finally giving up any hope for her eyes to shut in peace, she got up from the bed with an annoyed sigh.

Her eyes found the alarm clock next to the bed that read 1:11 a.m.

Just great!

Ziah thought sarcastically to herself and moved her hand to grab a glass of water. For some utter weirdness, water at midnight tasted as sweet as honey. Something that soothed her taste buds in a sense that couldn't be put into words.

(A/N: That's weird! But weird is me!)

Weird, but that's how it was.

But to her utter horror and misfortune, the jug beside her was empty and so was the glass. Looks like it was kept for a show after all.

Or you were just forgetful enough to not fill it.

Shut up conscience!

"Allah, let me survive the night."

She muttered to herself as she removed the warm duvet away from her and visibly shivered when the midnight cold air hit her with full force. Rubbing her palms together, she tried to create a little bit of warmth but alas, she was always weak in physics.

Clicking her tongue to herself, she doubted her choice to leave the room in the first place but seeing as her dry throat screamed for some mercy and cool drink, she softly padded her way out of the room.

The house looked deathly silent at this hour, a thing that did not please Ziah even the least bit. Silence at night scarred her.

Her hands wrapped themselves around her tightly as she walked down the stairs, her eyes darting left to right, as if trying to find someone or something waiting ahead of her, but not in the good way. It was a reflex that now came naturally.

Naturally due to the incidents that happened less than a few years ago.

"You're safe, Ziah. Marwan promised that you'd be safe."

She said the lines to herself.

Her silent, almost inaudible voice resonated through the eerie surrounding. The air around seemed to be getting a little suffocating and Ziah rubbed a hand over her chest to stop the fearful goosebumps from rising on her skin.