15. A smart mouth

*****

*****

Marwan tried to stop himself from yawning for the nth time. He watched in silence as Daiyan narrated the driver's facial features to the artist who flawlessly traced his pencil across the plain white paper that would soon have the imprint of the image in Daiyan's head.

"Marwan, ek baar ja kar dekh lo tumhare abbu ko kya kehna hai. He wouldn't be pleased with you ignoring his words."

"Was the man ever pleased by anything I did?"

He groaned as he looked at his mother with a look that clearly said how against he was of the idea. Madiha sighed inaudibly, knowing well what her husband had to discuss was anything that would interest Marwan but she also knew the consequences of ignoring Waheed's words.

"Marwan, don't be so negative. He's still your father. Jao ab, it'll take hardly 2 hours and by then, yaha bhi sab ho jayega."

"Lekin-"

He swallowed his words down as his gaze met his mother's glare. Grumbling under his breath about how his evening would go to waste and in complete ruins, he stood up with annoyed steps and looked to where his friends sat, still not done with the sketch.

"Going to meet uncle?"

Laiha's voice sounded from behind him and he turned out to give her a sullen look, hoping to find a look that might support him but instead, he was met with a neutral look that said anything but that she understood his turmoil.

"Koi kabhi toh thodi kadr kar liya karo meri."

"Kadr karne layak koi harkat toh karo."

"Is it necessary to degrade me at every chance you get?"

Marwan's exaggerated words that were coated with fake sorrow did nothing to gain Laiha's sympathy. The latter just scoffed and flicked his forehead emitting a pained whine from Marwan who swatted her hand away in annoyance.

"That's my job, mister. Ab jao jaldi, wouldn't want more drama than the one already on our plates."

Marwan could only nod at her words that were nothing but true. He knew whatever that was his father wanted to talk about would be anything but in his favor. Running a hand through his hair, he tried to ease the tension that suddenly made its way in his body and mind.

He stilled as he felt a hand being placed one his shoulder. Looking at Laiha, he found her gaze softening considerably as she gave an assuring squeeze to his shoulder.

"You've been worried enough for the past few days. Just relax yourself and take deep breaths. Itna stress tumhare liye acha nahi hai."

"So miss. Laiha does care?"

He couldn't help but tease and Laiha simply rolled her eyes at him. The two chuckled among themselves, not really sure how the tense atmosphere had lightened by a little bit.