24. Unrequited and broken

*****

*****

"Ziah!"

The voice was etched in the back of her mind like a fading nightmare, one that was almost buried deep in the dark abyss but had suddenly been brought to life. She had found comfort in little things and here, at the Qureshi estate, she had found people- people who defined her once lost family, a hope for something better, a future that suddenly didn't seem like it was far beyond her reach and a person who defined home.

Her nightmares weren't a common occurrence, maybe because she had made peace with the fact that the reason she escaped the place was for better and it was. Nightmares were nothing but dark memories that never left a person's mind, haunting them with the reminders of something or someone. For her, she was grateful for whatever had happened.

She was grateful for not being in that haveli, among them anymore.

She was grateful for the new faces who seemed like angels in her life, providing warmth to her mind that was before frozen with doubts and fear.

She was grateful for him, because if not for the man, then she'd have been living the worst life one could imagine.

But now, seeing her past standing in front of her, his face contorted in an ugly look of concern, eyes that seemed to sparkle as though they had found a treasure while trying to cover the hideousness of a vile snake made her shiver.

Laiha had her hand on Ziah's back and it didn't take a second for her to not recognize the stiffness, the terror coiling through her spine. Ziah had unconsciously leaned more towards Laiha, as though wanting to hide and Laiha didn't disappoint.

"Ziah, khuda ka shukr hai tum theek ho, pata hai kaha kaha nahi dhunda tumhe? Amma toh ro ro kar behal ho gayi hai."

He took a step forward, eliciting a flinch from the woman he addressed. Hafeez's hands fisted by his side and he tried his best to not push him out of the house, instead, he pulled the man back by his shoulders with a hard force.

"Ruko abhi. Baat khatm nahi hui hai."

Badar glared at the man who didn't seem to mind his own business. Shrugging off the touch as if it had burned him, he scoffed and turned his hard gaze towards Ziah. He could feel the eyes of the people in the room and he instantly softened his stance, showing just how concerned and happy he was.

"Ziah, I know you might be sad and angry that I didn't reach out to you sooner but trust me-"

"Isn't he trying to sound a little too considerate, like desperately?"

Laiha whispered under her breath, not liking the man even a bit. Her hands were wrapped around Ziah's shoulder. The tense form of the female in her hold made her more alert and unknowingly, her gaze shifted to Hafeez who seemed conflicted.