Chapter 20

POV: Chaehyun

As Chaehyun looked up, the helicopter that was attacking them pulled away and speed over horizon in minutes. 

Then she realized that Haneul was rushing towards the totaled convoy, Chaehyun rushed after him. The smoke was black and heavy, but Haneul ran right into it. Chaehyun shouted after him "Haneul wait!"

As she emerged from the other side of the smoke, she saw Haneul leaning over a soldiers on the ground. As she watched from a distance, Haneul looked up and shouted "Medic!"

As the medic rushed towards Haneul and the soldier, Chaehyun saw the wound, it looked like a large piece of metal from one of the trucks impaled itself in the soldiers back. She looked away, she had no clue how the soldiers caring for the wounded could do it without throwing up. 

Min-Seok appeared behind her and said, "Its tough bing a soldier watching your comrades die around you, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"You and Haneul," Chaehyun said, hesitant to ask. "What exactly is the kind of work you guys do?"

Min-Seok sighed and said "This should sum it up a little... It was late 2019, It was near the end of our deployment in Afghanistan. We all wanted to go home, but one day our base came under attack, the Taliban appeared in droves. We held out for a solid two hours, and Haneul had already sustained injuries, I was on a .50 cal gun nest overlooking his position. Then suddenly the Taliban overran his position, three of his soldiers were killed, and Haneul and and Delta Force operator were captured. They endured about of week of torture before I led a rescue force to save them. Haneul was in his worse state I've ever seen him in, he was exhausted and barley standing. But he managed to help us fight our way to save the American Captain. After that, Haneul and I became friends, but we lost touch with the Captain a year ago when his Korea deployment ended."

Chaehyun was stunned, "Haneul was tortured?"

Min-Seok nodded, "He was never one to give up the fight, now then, not now."

Min-Seok and Chaehyun noticed that Haneul was walking towards them, but Min-Seok whispered to Chaehyun, "If you haven't noticed, he likes you."