H.P. You Belong With Me (fluff)

y/n = your name, e/c = eye color

warnings: brief homophobia and sexism, home issues, controlling relationship, cussing

Y/n was in their living room reading their favorite book when their dad walked in.

"Sweetie the neighbors invited us over for dinner to welcome us to the neighborhood!" He told his kid.

"Oh okay" Y/n replied.

"Why don't you go get on your new clothes?" He encouraged with a smile.

Y/n nodded and bounded up the stairs to put on their outfit which they did quickly. Frankly they wanted to get this dinner over with as fast as possible. They couldn't even imagine how awkward it would end up being.

They came downstairs dragging their feet.

"Y/n." Their father lectured, already knowing the defeatist attitude they had.

"Whaaaaat?" They pouted.

"Don't be so negative! They said they have a kid your age, maybe you'll get along with him?" He suggested with a stern look trying to make his kid more optimistic.

"oh" They started. "Let's go then!"

He rolled his eyes and opened the door, bowing as he did so.

"After you" He dramatically exhaled.

Now it was Y/n's turn to roll their eyes and follow after their dad.

He knocked on the front door of 4 privet drive and it opened to reveal the face of one overly eager person.

"Mr. L/n, come in come in!" The woman announced as she beckoned them into the home.

"Please call me Will" He politely responded.

The lady looked please at his words and smiled.

Her smile was sort of eerie to Y/n. It was just sort of off.

"Where's your wife Will?" She wondered aloud clearly expecting her to be there already. "Don't tell me she's working uh working late." They corrected themselves with a satisfied face as if they had covered their slip up well, but even Y/n noticed and they were only 9.

"Oh they are running a little late, but don't worry about that. They will be here soon." He smiled back albeit awkwardly.

Y/n threw an annoyed look towards their father as they shared a conversation through facial expressions.

"Well, I'm Mrs. Dursley and it's lovely to have someone our Dudley's age right next door!" They introduced themself.

"I'm Y/n, but I assume you already knew that." Y/n shook their hand.

Mrs. Dursley wiped their hand on their dress after shaking hands with them making Y/n upset.

"That's a little rude, don't you think?" Y/n stood with their eyebrows furrowed.

She looked to their father instead of them.

"We raised our kid to speak their mind, Petunia." He explained proudly.

"Oh, well they're a bit mouthy don't you think?"

He started to protest, but Y/n interrupted.

"I'm right here you know? You don't have to talk over me to my dad like I'm too simple to comprehend your basic level sentences."

Will stifled a laugh at his kid and Petunia's angry face.

Before she could say anything in response, Dudley came down the stairs with his dad.