Chapter 24 ~ ☾☀

The next few days go by in a blur. I'm not invisible, at least not in the mirror, but no one can see or hear me. So... what exactly am I? I've laid on my bed for the past three days pondering an answer, but I can't think of any explanation.

On the third morning, I remember that I promised to find someone who could see me. And I decided that, if possible, I'd find them today. So, I get up. I'm not naked in the sense that you can see my nipples and vagina, but I'm not wearing clothes all the same. I've tried to understand it, but it's just an outline, so I guess that's why.

I go downstairs and open the door to leave. I step outside, and for the first time in three days, I feel the breeze blowing on my skin... save I guess I don't really have skin. It's still mostly cloudy, as if it could rain at any moment, but the sun is peaking out, and its heat feels nice.

Naturally, I'd go to town, as that's where the most people would be, but some unspoken force is pulling me toward the forest, and so, that's where I head.

•.✦.✧.✦.✧.•☾☀•.✦.✧.✦.✧.•

As I approach the forest, I hear some rustling in the bushes– like something ran behind them. I feel a set of eyes on me.

"Come out, I won't hurt you." I say, knowing that even if I tried, I'd probably just go through them.

Another rustling sound, and a black wolf comes out from behind a bush. He's staring straight at me, curious as to what or who I am. Our eyes meet, and my heart flutters like the first time a butterfly ascends from her cocoon. We just stare at each other in silence until he breaks the silence...

"Serina?" he asks softly.

And that's when it hits me– he's the talking wolf from my dream... and he can see me!

"You can see me?" I say in shock, ready to run up and hug this near complete stranger.

"I've been waiting for you," he replies.

"I met you... in a dream... you saved me–" he nods, "why are you here? How come you can see me when no one else can?" I have so many questions for him, but I can hardly wrap my head around the fact that a talking wolf is standing right in front of me and can actually see me...

His eyes get wide like he just remembered he had a cake in the oven, which he'd forgotten, and he moves his front paws up a little so that he can bow his head in front of me.

"I've been waiting for you," he starts, "and now that you're here, I am at your service, my princess."

Hold up. Did he just call me a princess? I rub my eyes, trying to see if what I'm seeing and hearing is real. I'm so confused... I'm some sort of ghost, there's a talking wolf bowing before me, and he's telling me I'm his princess? I must've really hit my head hard because I'm totally losing it right now...

It begins to rain, and no sooner does it start, does he start metamorphosing right in front of me. I see his fur melt as it turns into pale skin. His paws turn into hands and feet, and his face from that of an animal into human. Within seconds, the change is done, and he stands up to look at me again. I try to step back, but I fall as my focus is lost in his beauty.

His black hair is scruffy as it covers his ears and upper face. I never noticed before, but his eyes are perfectly gold. His face is thin, as is his body, yet he's built muscularly. I can't take my eyes off of him. He's... perfect...

He walks up to me in what seems like slow motion, offering his hand to pull me up. I accept, and I'm brought to my feet once again. He looks away from my eyes as he breaks the silence between us.

"Don't be alarmed," he says almost heartbrokenly, "I'm a Shifter, but you don't have to fear me, I'm not like those monsters you've seen."

It's almost like he's trying to convince himself as he says the words, he can't even look at me. I reach up and cup my hand on his left cheek, pulling his face in my direction...

"I've never feared you, Kail." I whispered.

A faint smile finds its way to his lips, and he grabs my hand from his face and says, "come, there is much we must discuss." He pulls me deep into the forest...