Chapter 4 ~🌿

She is perfect. Sitting upon that hill, up there in the sunset. Her dark, black curls blowing in the wind. Her fair skin being kissed by the sun. Her deep purple eyes staring off into the distance...

If only it were me she was dreaming of. But it's not, it never is, as she sees me as more of a friend than anyone... her best friend. But that's ok because we were never meant to be. I was meant to be like her guardian angel– a friend when she needed me, a shoulder to cry on if life so deemed, and nothing more. I am a servant of fate, but I can't change the way I feel about her, for she is perfect, and I could never want another.

The day was coming to an end, the sky was filled with beautiful shades of golden orange and burning red, but all I could see was her. She looked so pure, wearing her haltered sundress. She always said she didn't care much about her appearance, but somehow always managed to look beautiful in even the simplest of clothing. Maybe it was the way her dark hair absorbed the golden sunlight as it faded; maybe it was the way the wind made her curves visible to the naked eye. Or maybe it was just me, imagining all of this and more, but no– it can't be, for I see the way every guy stops and looks at her when we're walking by. She's beautiful, and she doesn't even seem to notice; perhaps she doesn't care.

There was just something about her that radiated her significance to the world. And if only she knew how special she was– not just to me, but to all of Solunaria... But let's not get into that just yet.

It was the first day of summer, the Summer Solstice, and I was watching Serina as she waited for her boyfriend to arrive. Not that I'm some kind of stalker, but I'm always watching Serina in my free time, as it's my job to keep her safe when Sebastian's not around, which is quite often now that he's busy traveling between the two worlds.

It's been nearly two hours, and Serina still sits alone. All by herself– I wonder if she's lonely, and what exactly it is she's thinking. If Rosalin were here, she could tell me, but she's been so distant lately... So, I'm left to my own thoughts of what she's pondering while she waits for Adein.

They were supposed to meet on the Great Willow Hill at 6 PM, but now it's almost 8, and I'm sure Serina must be worried out of her mind. That, or she's getting impatiently irritated, as this isn't the first time Adein has been late in the last couple of months. But today is their two-year anniversary, you would think the guy would show a little timeliness...

Just as I'm about to lose hope on him ever showing up, Adein comes running past where I hide– I'm careful not to let him see me. He's in a white cotton shirt that barely covers his strong build and clings to his abdomen as he's slightly perspiring while he runs up to Serina. His long blonde hair is getting tossed around by the wind as his sandals make the most obnoxious click clacking sound. Within seconds he's up the hill and makes it to Serina.

Her back is turned to me so all I can see is his expressions. He seemingly apologizes for his tardiness, but Serina barely shifts her body from her seat. A few minutes pass, and he says something to her. Apparently, she did grow irritated at his tardiness because whatever her reaction, he gets that awkwardly puzzled look on his face that says "I fucked up"...

He doesn't even try to calm her down, he just stands there like a fool, nearly shaking in his Khaki shorts, as he says something to her, putting one arm behind his head like he's breaking bad news. Whatever it is gets Serina's attention because she slowly stands up, as if she's in a daze. It seems like she mumbles something before he continues rambling up some excuse, but she just stands there.

Whatever he said to her must have been bad because she stands so still, I can't even see her breathing. It's almost as if she's in shock... But just as I am about to go over there to see if she's ok, they start to hug. She must be ok because she hugs him back, though almost robotically. And then he seemingly offers to walk her home, now that it's getting dark, and they head down the hill together.

They walk down the side of the hill opposite to where I'm staying, so I must go up the hill and follow their footsteps, so I don't lose them, all while being careful to not get too close and be heard. As I go up the hill toward the Great Willow, I can still smell the coconut oil from her freshly washed hair, and the red velvety mist of her perfume. I'm slowly pulled away into her faint scent, and I close my eyes for a second to take it all in. Ugh, she's so wonderful, so perfect. And yet, I'll never be able to tell her that, I just hope that someday she'll find someone who will...

I'm drawn back to reality when I remember my mission, and my euphoria disappears when I see "A + S" carved inside of a heart on the willow tree. It's been there for nearly two years now, but I can't get over the hatred it fills in my heart to see it. There's just something about this Adein guy that rubs me the wrong way. Everybody loves him and Serina is so smitten over him, but I just can't get over the way he makes my stomach turn whenever I'm around him...

I head back down the hill, following in the two's footsteps. Normally, I could hear them talking, but today, they walk in silence, barely even holding hands. After what feels like forever, we finally approach Serina's home, and I go around from the back so that I can hide in the bushes up front undetected. They walk up the steps, and I hear Serina whisper "goodbye" followed by a short peck of their lips.

"Come see me tomorrow at the docks for one last kiss before I leave, ok" Adein coos back.

So, he's leaving, I can't help but feel a slight rise of joy to that news. I can't help but grin because that means less time sneaking around and watching the love of my life with someone else, and more time being able to really protect Serina. Not to mention the pleasure of being in her presence.

Serina gently nods, and with that, Adein slowly turns around and heads back down the stairs.

I wait until about 10 minutes after I heard the door close before I come out of the bushes, just to make sure no one would see me. Before heading home myself, I take a deep breath and turn around for one final look. I see Serina's bedroom light on upstairs, she must be changing into her night clothes. Hand over my heart, I whisper "sleep tight, sweet Serina", and head off into the darkness.