Chapter 22 ~ ❀

It was a normal day. I woke up at 6:30, brushed my teeth, and put on my scrubs for the day. At 7, I left for the hospital.

It was a normal day. I had an ultrasound appointment with Ms. Julie at 9:30. Yesterday, Mrs. Edwards delivered her baby, Bloom, so I was going to check on her family, afterwards. Then I was on call for any unexpected deliveries for the rest of the day.

It was just a normal day. I was to take care of babies and women as I do every other day. I loved my job, as I always knew what to expect from a day, and yet each day was filled with surprises all the same.

It was supposed to be a normal day...

But it wasn't.

It was a little after noon when the dark clouds started rolling in. The sky was upset, and I was about to find out why.

The receptionist came up to my floor and told me that it was Serina... there had been some sort of accident, and it looked pretty bad...

My heart stopped beating. My mind went back to the promise I had made...

We knew he was coming, but we didn't think it would be so soon. Kathryn, Serina in hand, looks at me and says, "no matter what becomes of me, you have to promise to protect her with your life... she's the only hope."

"As you wish, my queen."

Kathryn looks down at her baby and whispers, "we will always love you."

She kisses her one last time, and hands Serina to me.

"Keep her safe," she tells me.

Tears fill my eyes, and I can't stop them from rolling down my face, but I nod. With a heavy knot in my chest, I whisper "always."

A dark chill ran up my spine, and I knew he was here– Theo and Kath knew it, too. Saying goodbye was too difficult so we just looked at each other and knew what the other wanted to say... They left, swiftly.

That was the last time I ever saw my best friend. Shadow killed him just like he had killed much of Solunaria that night, but I escaped with baby Serina... and it has been my duty to protect her ever since.

•.✦.✧.✦.✧.•☾☀•.✦.✧.✦.✧.•

Later that night, after checking up on all of the patients of the floor, I make my way to Room 013. I stop by the front desk to get the key, knowing that the boys probably locked it. I head down the halfway. I'm never here after daylight hours, so it's very weird– almost creeping having no one here and being in near complete silence.

I make it to Room 013. I slowly put the key in the hole and turn it to the left. The door unlocks, and I walk inside. No sooner am I entering the doorway do I hear a spark and see Liam pulling away from Serina, shaking his hand...

"What happened?" Sebastian asks.

"I'm not quite sure..." Liam replies.

As I shut the door behind me, they both turn around to see me.

"Uh, hi, Val." Liam says barely able to keep from stuttering.

"How is she?" I ask, and we all look down at Serina.

She lies still in the bed, not even making a sound as she breathes. Her breathing is so faint, one might think she was dead... Her face so pale, she looks like a ghost. And body so limp, I'll never forget the dreadful sight.

I notice that her wound on her head is gone, so it must've worked...

We all three anxiously wait for her to wake up, thinking she's healed... but she never does...

Hours pass, and we begin to lose hope. Liam looks disappointed in himself, like he should've done more...

I try to comfort him by saying, "you tried your best... your gift can't fix everything."

"I should've stopped her" is all he says in return.