Chapter 47: Unbound and Undaunted

With shaking hands, Jisoo placed a bowl of rice on a tray. She released a deep sigh before carrying it to the dining table. Seokjin stood up to help her distribute the bowls. He noticed how her hands shook.

"Why are you so nervous? It's going to be fine." He hissed at her.

"Yeah. It's going to be fine." She consoled while looking at his hand.

Seokjin took a glass of water and wobbly put it on his lips. He gulped loudly. Taehyung watched him drink. He wheezed and turned to look at Jungkook beside him. He was staring blankly at Yeontan while stroking his fur.

"Done." Jisoo announced.

"Ajumma." Seokjin called one of the helpers. "Could you please call them?"

Jungkook set Yeontan down. He exhaled loudly. Taehyung reached for his hand and smiled at him reassuringly.

"Remember. You have to look out and dodge the splashing waters." Taehyung nervously quipped.

"Stop."

Jungkook felt like he's turning deaf. Everything was getting drowned out by the drumming of his heart. Taehyung's ears perked when he heard their footsteps. He wiped his damp hands on his pants. They stood up when the elders entered. Jungkook was eyeing the ground. Taehyung raised his chin and looked directly at his father. He has to look confident. He has to act the part. His father should think that he can't be daunted. He saw his mother's eyes widen when she noticed Jungkook. His father's too. But it was very minute. He hid his reaction well.

It has been two days since their arrival from Paris. The patriarch did not say anything, to Taehyung's surprise. But he can't be complacent. Not with the way he clenches his jaw whenever he sees him. He knew he was planning something. Unfortunately, they have no way of knowing. Seokjin was rendered ineligible to spy when it was revealed that he has been tolerating his brother's unconventional relationship.

Mr. Kim's jaw stiffened when he got to the head of the table.

"What is this?" He asked authoritatively.

"Honey, let's sit and talk."

He didn't budge, clearly waiting for an answer.

"Dad." Seokjin started.

"Stay out of this. Your coward brother can't hide behind you forever." He didn't shout but his voice thundered. "Don't say anything. Send that one away and we're going to forget this. I'm willing to forgive you. Now that you have proven yourself useful."

"I don't want to."

"You behaved disgustingly. You slept around so that you'll feel good about yourself. So that you can feed your ego and call yourself a man when in reality you're just an indolent, useless fool. You were lucky you were born in this family. I tolerated you. Even if you went above and beyond to spite me. Now that you're finally serving a purpose and will be able to repay, you're just going to ruin it by bringing one of those?"

"Honey! Please."

"One of those?" Taehyung asked, feeling pained.

"What did this impoverished boy from a disgraced family give you that you gave him a job, found his mother a donor, sent him to Paris and spent millions on him when he has nothing? What kind of sexual favors?"

"He's not like that." He retorted in low, seething voice.

Jungkook's heart hurt. Not because he was assumed as someone he wasn't. But because Taehyung was regarded and treated badly. Even before. Not just by anyone but by his very own father.