Chapter 38: Change and Permanence

Taehyung awakened, feeling a tight grasp around his waist. He caressed Jungkook's arms and snugged it even more around him. He scratched his eyes and learned that it was just around ten. He shifted to face him.

"What happened?" He asked him.

Jungkook sniveled. The moisture Taehyung felt on his chest was enough to know what happened. He rubbed his back. Taehyung felt sad and mad that Jungkook's mom chose to hurt him that day. It was his birthday. He wondered why she can't give him the day to be happy. He pondered if his mom would do the same to him. He promised he would make him the happiest on his day. But was it still possible after everything?

"Babe, I have to tell you something." Jungkook started.

"Before you say it, I'll give you something first." Taehyung sprung up and went down the bed.

Jungkook sat. Taehyung walked out of the bedroom and came back with a bag. He pulled out a fuzzy bear onesie. He wrapped the sleeves around Jungkook.

"Wear it. So you'll feel like I'm hugging you." He smiled at him. "Once you're in Paris."

"Tae." Jungkook's eyes leaked.

"I know. I saw the forms you kept." He wiped his lover's eyes.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hide it. I was going to tell you."

"It's fine. I know why you can't tell me. I felt a little mad and a lot miserable when I learned that there's the possibility of being away from you."

Taehyung was already crying too.

"I don't have to go." Jungkook said in between sobs.

"You should. This is a good thing for you. You're amazing. You deserve to be there. You should be there. Don't worry about us. A year apart will not change us." He wiped his eyes.

"You promise it won't?"

"Of course. No matter how far. The distance will never change my love for you. So you do your best there. And I will try my best here too." He assured.

"Thank you. I love you so much." He squeezed him tight.

"I love you so much too." He countered with an equally strong hold. "Happy Birthday, my love."

...

Jungkook was intensely watching the door. He saw Hoseok storm out of the bar a few minutes prior. He can't help but feel worried. His brother seemed extremely agitated and mad which is very unlike him. Namjoon didn't turn up that evening. He thought Hoseok was stressed because he was left alone to manage the bar. Yoongi already volunteered to man the DJ booth. Jungkook was doing his best at the bar counter but he can't stay long. Taehyung asked him to come home immediately after work at the bar. He didn't tell him why but he reiterated that he absolutely has to go home. Taehyung let him know that he will do something out for the early part of the evening. Jimin let it slip that they were out grocery shopping. Jungkook knew what's up. It's their anniversary the day after.

Hoseok came in with an even stiffer face and a sharper look.

"Were you able to contact him, hyung?" He asked him.

"He's sick." He answered sternly.

Something was off. If Namjoon hyung was sick, why would Hoseok hyung be mad? He wondered. His brother never had that look when he's sick. It's always a thoughtful, concerned one.

"Do you want me stay for the night?"

"No. You said Taehyung is waiting for you. It's fine. I already called for help. Don't worry."