Chapter 9: Square One

Start from the beginning

"I will. I want to see you off." Namjoon stared him in the eyes. Yoongi cleared his throat. The two looked away.

"I can't see him. He must in the crowd." Yoongi told them.

"I have an idea." Namjoon said.

The three of them walked towards the DJ booth. Namjoon motioned for the DJ to come close. He whispered something to him. Then the music stopped.

"Attention. Kim Taehyung, your brother's here. Please proceed to the VIP room."

Everyone's attention darted to the booth. People gawked, trying to catch sight of Kim Taehyung's brother.

Taehyung was in the middle of the dancefloor, making out, when the music stopped. He heard the whispers.

"That's his brother?! He's so gorgeous." One said.

"Equally as handsome." Another commented.

He smirked. Always stealing my thunder. He muttered to himself. He raised his hand and strode towards the VIP room. Seokjin and Namjoon followed him. He walked in and plopped himself in one of the cushioned seats. Seokjin stood in front of him. Namjoon was about to close the door when Taehyung said:

"Stay. It will be very short talk."

Namjoon stood still.

"Come home one of these days. Your tuxedo needs to be fitted. And dad asks for you." Seokjin told Taehyung.

"Yeah. Whatever." Taehyung reached inside his coat pocket. He took out a card.

"Namjoon hyung, here's my card. I'll pay for every drink sold tonight." He handed Namjoon the card then stormed out.

Namjoon looked at Seokjin. Seokjin smiled sadly. 

...

...

Taehyung was driving home. He's exhausted. He partied all night and drank. He left the bar at around 2am with someone. He forgot her name. He doesn't know her. She wasn't from their university. A new face, just the way he likes it. He checked his watch. 5:26 am. He combed his hair with his fingers. He's tired. He has a class at 7. He parked his car and decided to buy an energy drink from the convenience store nearby. He entered, went directly to the drinks section, took one and walked to the pay counter. He noticed that the cashier had his head down.

He knocked on the counter. He didn't stir. Is he sleeping?

"Worker, wake up!" Taehyung shouted.

"I'm sorry, sir." The cashier apologized.

Taehyung's eyes widened when he saw Jungkook. His eyes did the same.

"You work here?" Taehyung asked.

Jungkook composed himself. He noticed that Taehyung smelled like a mixture of alcohol, cigarette smoke and...a woman's perfume.

"No. I'm a customer who happens to be behind the cash register. What does it look like?" He answered, irritated.

Taehyung was too tired to notice the hostility. He, however, noticed his tired, bloodshot eyes. He looked exhausted. He looked pale. Jungkook was about to pack what Taehyung bought.

"No need for a bag." Taehyung said. He handed him a bill.

"Thank you. Please don't come back again." Jungkook put the change on the surface. Taehyung took it and turned to exit.

"You forgot what you bought!" Jungkook shouted.

Taehyung looked back and said. "It's for you." Then he went out.

...

"Why didn't you tell me that Jungkook works at the convenience store in Kim's Crown Plaza?" Taehyung asked Jimin as he sat down in front of him.

"Why would I tell you anything?!" Jimin said defiantly.

"I've been living there without knowing that he was just below me. Every night!"

"He's not there during Fridays." Yoongi interrupted.

"Shut up!" Taehyung shouted.

"That's what you get for almost living in the bar. If you've just come home and at normal times, you will notice him there." Yoongi tirade.

"You knew?" He asked, incredulous.

"Why would I tell you anything?!" Yoongi said defiantly.

"What is his work sched?" Taehyung probed.

"I don't know." Jimin answered.

"I still have the photo."

Jimin rolled his eyes. "I don't know because it's at different times. It depends on the manager."

"But it's always at midnight?"

Jimin nodded. "What will you do?"

Taehyung smirked then nodded his head. Yoongi and Jimin exchanged glances.