[🍑]Searing Heat

Start from the beginning

I let out and exasperated sigh, "just be honest with me."

"I am."

After towel drying his hair, he pulled on a t-shirt. I was beginning to feel a little too naked now that I only had the towel to protect me. Still, when he headed for the door, jacket in hand, I grabbed the back of his shirt to stop him.

Why does it always end with him walking away? I'd never met someone so scared of confrontation. It's not like I was asking the impossible of him.

"Is it because of Camilla?"

He let out a laugh, "why the fuck are you always asking about her?"

"Well I talked to her sister and-"

He peeled my fingers off the back of his shirt, "I don't want you talking to her again."

"Why, because she knows too much about you? Are you hiding things?"

"You do realize how crazy that fucking bitch is right?" He asked.

You're one to talk.

"I don't really care about the stuff she said," grabbing his hand, I kept him in place, "I just need to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I can't take another rejection."

I'd given up too much for him to just treat me like I was disposable.

Leaving my old life behind felt like the right thing to do at the time but now I realised it was my own brand of torture. I'd blindly created this torment for myself, distancing myself from my family and friends and using him as a lifeline.

But Masky was never going to say it back because he obviously didn't love me.

If he did I'd never even have to ask like this.

Shameful that I fell for someone like him and even more shameful that I was able to throw my whole life away for him so easily.

Maybe that's why the confession meant so much to me. If he loved me back, then everything I'd done would have been worth it. My obsession with him would make sense. Everyone I killed would have been necessary.

Justified, even.

"Please," I dug my nails into the skin of his wrist, "I'm ruining my life for you. The least you can do is tell me how you really feel about me."

"Yeah?" He grabbed my arms and tugged me closer to him, eyes arresting mine, "you were doing a pretty good job of ruining your own life before I came around."

I tried squirming out of his grasp, embarrassed, "well now you're just being hurtful."

His smile wasn't the least bit authentic, "careful. You don't want to excite me."

That look.

He'd given me that look back at the cabin too. Like he was just a moment away from attacking me.

I felt tears pooling in my eyes and tried blinking them away, "I deserve an answer."

"If I never say it back, you'll still give me your body," his soul sucking smile hadn't faltered, "you'll still follow me around like a lost puppy-"

"Stop," I cut him off, lips pressed together in a firm line, "stop being-"

"Honest?"

"An asshole."

His smile wilted and for a few seconds he only looked down at me with a scowl.

I caught my breath when he ran the pads of his fingers over my shoulders and neck, showcasing all the marks he'd left on me, "you're right. Look what I did to you."