Gold Influences Decisions {Chapter 21}

Over the next two days, everyone spent a lot of time inside because the rain refused to admit that we had a magical barrier. That evening around nine it finally stopped raining and even though it was gross and muddy outside, I left my cabin, hoping to find Luke for an update on the questers.

    "Hi," I heard Luke say behind me. I turned around. "Looking for something?"

    "More like someone. You." I replied. "Any news on the trio?"

    "Come with me. We need to go somewhere else to talk."

    I followed him into the woods. As we walked, a thought came to my mind. "Is this the way to the 'secret' place?"

    "Yes, it is," Luke said with a smile.

    "So why didn't you tell me before?"

    "It was more fun to tease you. It was the twins' idea."

    I shook my head with a smile. When we got to the clearing, we sat down and Luke began informing me of what had happened.

    "First of all, they had a slight detour in the Lotus Casino. Do you know what that is?" he asked.

    Something about that rang a bell. "Was it... the place where time, like, doesn't exist?"

    "Yeah. Anyway, they spent five days in there; the day you got hurt until this afternoon. They are now in the Underworld, on their way to our friend down under. And then," he paused, a smile creeping up on his face, "then, He will rise and we will win."

    "How is he gonna rise, though?" I asked. I still couldn't put all that he had told me together.

    "The shoes," Luke said. "The shoes are enchanted. Once Percy gets close to the entrance to Tartarus, then the shoes will drag him in, along with the lightning bolt."

    "The lightning bolt? When did he get it?"

    "Ares gave it to him after the water park. Percy doesn't know yet but he is bound to find out soon."

    "And if Percy isn't wearing the shoes? What if Grover is still wearing them?"

    Luke's smile faded. "It'll work."

    I wasn't so sure but I wasn't about to say that.

    I began to stand but he told me to wait. I sat back down.

    "We need to wait. It will happen tonight."

    I nodded.

----------------------------------------------------

    "Gods!" Luke suddenly exclaimed.

    I looked at him, surprised. "What's wrong?"

    Luke stood up and began pacing in a circle around me.

    "Luke. Are you okay?"

    "Just wait." He said as he continued pacing.

    I watched him go back and forth, my curiosity growing every second.

    "I need to I-M someone. Move out of sight and just wait."

    "Why can't you just tell me now?" I asked desperately.

    "This is important. You'll understand. Just listen," he said, pushing me behind a tree.

    He walked back into the centre of the clearing, since the night mist was thicker there. "Oh goddess, accept my offering." He dug a drachma out of his pocket and threw it into the mist.